Re: Solidcam??

>>had a dealer come by today trying to sell us this new software. Dont >>know anybody using it, but you know salespeople, hes determined to try >>and sell me this, says it fantastic, but of course. any body out there >>using it now, whats it really like?? honest opinion plzzzzz. > > Crossposted to comp.cad.solidworks ... IIRC Someone there > may use it ....

They have a downloadable demo, crippled to not actually producing g-code. A brief look showed pretty good integration with SW, good CAM functionality, good visualization tools, and overall looked usable. It's on our list for further evaluation.

Reply to
Mike Young

It integrates into Solidworks, and (I think) imports some other formats. I looked at too many packages recently and am sure to mix them up if I tried to go into more detail. The integration looked quite good, with its own tab in the feature mgr. First impressions were it did a good job on most shapes and features, and flexible enough to let you walk it through the rest. Quite a bit of feature depth that I didn't have time/take time to explore. (And last, not that it's the most important feature, just a pet peeve, it didn't continually quiz about speeds and feeds. I told it the material, and modified the suggested surface speed and feed per tooth. My, my. It used the PC's processor cycles to figure it out, rather than look to me to use a calculator. One other package did a better job of it, though I didn't get to play with it much. MasterCAM, I think it was, optimizes material removal for the given horsepower, material, and tool.)

Download their demo. It'll answer those questions.

I don't know what those are.

Reply to
Mike Young