Re: Wiring Harness?????

Darn! I could've used that add in :-(

99% of my designs will have a wir> Philippe, the (expensive) SolidWorks add-in named EmbassyWorks was a
product of Linius Corp., purchased fairly recently by AutoDesk as Mr. > Miller pointed out. It has/had a good bit more than SolidSketch, but I > really like the capabilities of your add-in software (finally got a > chance to put a plug in for ya). Some of what it has/had includes(d) a > database to track connections (like a netlist), utilizing Oracle (huge > memory hog) and the capability to do "nailboard" layouts of a wiring > harness with wire lengths specified as well as do schematics, all of the > above being associative. It has/had a huge collection of connectors as > well, and you could logically assign a heirarchical system of reference > designators to wires, connectors and (I believe) to the units they > connected together. Actually, in my opinion it is/was rather much > overkill for any need that I might have had, or for any project that > I've been involved in using SolidWorks. If you were designing a fighter > aircraft for Lockheed-Martin with all the documentation requirements > that the Defense Department lays on prime contractors, that would be a > different story. If you could do as much as unravel wiring harnesses > made with SolidSketch into a "nailboard" configuration with wire lengths > I'll bet you could find some takers. > > Best regards, > 'Sporky' > > Philippe Guglielmetti wrote: > >>"Paul Miller" wrote >> >>>Embassy was purchased by Autodesk. No longer on SW partner list. >> >>Does it mean there is a market here (again) ? Any other player ? >>What are the most important features of such a product ? >>(we have a very basic "wiring" example done with our SolidPlus add-in at >>
) >> >>Philippe Guglielmetti -

FrankW

Well maybe you still can find it somewhere... But I'm thinking of doing something in this area. Can you provide me with more information on how you're doing this wiring ? I'd like to know:

1) what is your "input data" ? do you have a scheme (Visio ? other software?) or a table of connections (connector X25,pin5, to X12,pin7 etc...) ? which is the file format? (Excel ? text ?...) 2) where do you get the models of the connectors ? Is there a standard way to identify the pins ? 3) the thing I can possibly do "quickly" is a tool to help you draw a spline (or a composite curve) from one pin to another, in an assembly 3D sketch, then generate "wires" part(s) (SW2003 allows multiple wires per part (harness?) through multibody) from the splines as in
. Is it what you want ? 4) do you need specific info in a custom wire list ? which ? or are you happy with a SW BOM ?

Philippe Guglielmetti -

Philippe Guglielmetti

Well........... It can get complicated. I'm a new user of SW and 3D, I presently don't know the "best way". For instance, in my first model we are buying a OEM power supply which includes the wire harnesses not suitable for our needs So I "had to" (rats) use autocad 2D to modify the power supply to replace the AC and DC harnesses with our prefered ones. There was a lot of info required to do the changes. like remove ac receptical and switch then add ac wires (winding ac wires one turn around a ferrite ring) to connect to a line filter mounted on the rear panel, which includes a switch and receptical. Then............. It could take a while to describe what I had to depict on the drawing, It'd be easier to send the drawing :-) , I could if you like, to see what I'm up against.

What Sporkman described as to what the old add in does is what I would like.

ex. wire table or schematic wire lengths nail board would be handy as someone (me) has to do it. bom ofcoarse and (I'm sure) other things that I can't think of at the moment.

But an add in that just makes it easier to draw wires between connectors following a "channel"? would help.

I'm really surprised that a lot of people don't have to deal with wiring harnesses on this group. I've had to, since I was a green junior draftsman learning how to sharpen a pencil ;-)

Regards Frank

Philippe Guglielmetti wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

You're right, they're a major pain with SWX. I've just posted in the balloons and muli-body thread about using multi-body parts as a mock up for length and routing guesstimation.

I think that Spork's right, Mr Gugliemetti. If you managed to get half-way toward this, some of us would definitely bite...

Chris Huntley.

Reply to
Chris

sorry, that should be Guglielmetti.