Selecting the Quadrant

When dimensioning a slot for instance with 2" centers and 1/2" radius ends the overall length would be of course be 3". Is there any way to select the quadrants of the end circles to show an overall length instead of having to do the math to calculate it. This is a very simple example but in complicated shapes, I want to show an overall length for material estimating purposes. In AutoCAD which I use also, the quadrant can be snapped to when dimensioning. Any ideas for me when using SW2001Plus. I'm surprised that this has never been an issue with SW users.

Thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terry Robb

Terry, I am not sure about 2001 but in 2004,

  1. Do not dim the centers of the end radius
  2. Pick both the arcs to dim
  3. This will appear to be the center dim ...but... it is different.
  4. Right click on the dim and in the pop up pick "max" to "max" The dim will then be to the outside of the arcs....or overall. I too am a ACAD man and miss the quad picks and others. Hope this helps, took me 2 hours to find this the first time.

Gene

Reply to
Gene Holmes

Thanks Gene, It doesn't seem to work in 2001 but it just so happens, I'm upgrading to

2004 very soon so I'll know it's there in the new program.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Robb

Terry...

Gene left out one step....once You've rightclicked the dimension You gotta pick properties and from there set it to max-max or min-min....or center-max ....or what ever

Krister

Reply to
Krister L

Thanks Krister, Worked Great!

Reply to
Terry Robb

There is an new/easier way now - When you have dimensioned the 2 arcs and it dispays ctr to ctr, you can now LMB on the dim and the ends of the dimension witness lines will show as green dots. Grab the green dot and drag it to the outside of the arc/circle - it will now dimension as you want it.

There are some other neat things that you can do with the dimension - e.g. rotate it, tilt it, etc. but it is all in the help.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

It would be nice if one could measure via the quad during the design phase. I typically don't have a drawing created at this point and need this gap distance to determine design requirements (pull out calculator and take two measurements)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

min - max also works in part & assy sketches

Reply to
kenneth b

Not in a sketch, just using the measurement tool!

Reply to
Keith Streich

ooops, i interpreted measure as dimension

Reply to
kenneth b