Setting rendered image size?

Hi all,

is there a way of setting the size of the image to be rendered to file? The workaround I am using is to render oversize and then crop out what I want, not the most efficient!

Best

JAG

Reply to
JAG

I do a similar process. I also bump the resolution up no more than 300 and save it as a TIFF file. Then I open it, resize it, and save it as a JPEG in PSP or Photoshop.

I prefer to crop the image in PSP or Photoshop for better compostion contol anyway.

It seems to work OK for me.

Reply to
scota

The height of the work window along with the pixels you specify for the height of the rendering defines the resolution of the final image, and the width just follows proportionally from that scale with no regard to the work window at all

I hope the following explains it (and if it doesn't you can run the tests and you'll figure it out - I have the hardest time trying to describe this!)

Set your work window to be roughly square with the model centered in it. Here's what the rendering will look like: Width 1000, Height 1000 - image will show the entire model vertically and horizontally (duh) Width 1000, Height 500 - image will show the entire model vertically, but at half the resolution of the first rendering. Tons of background will be added to the left and right of the model Width 500, Height 1000 - image will show the entire model vertically at the same resolution as the first rendering. The rendering will clip the left and right off the model.

This is what we do to avoid rendering lots of extra pixels: Size the work window to frame the final rendering you want (or split into 2 or 4 viewports and use one as the final window, which can be easier to manipulate into odd rectangles). Add a little bleed for safety, but remember those extra pixels are going to cost you on rendering time. Take out a ruler and measure the screen (this feels silly when you do it, but I have no cooler or faster way to get the ratio of work window height to width) In the 'render to file' dialog, enter the pixels you want for the height, which will drive the image resolution. To calculate the pixels to enter for the width, divide the height in pixels by the measured Height of the work window, then multiply the result by the measured Width of the work window.

Hope this helps. Its really quite simple, but I can never find the words to communicate it well.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

I though at one time someone made a macro that would re-size the graphics window? What you would do is to set it to 800x600 or whatever your rendering size will be and you will have a WYSIWYG view.

I just tried recording one and it works pretty good except it counts the FM as well. You would either have to slide the FM split bar all the way to the left or put in some code that will get the FM width and add the extra pixels to the graphics window size.

There looks to be a limitation to the graphics window size, but that's not a problem. You just input a ratio of what your rendering size would be.

For example, if your rendering was 2000x2000, you would divide that by 5 or whatever and re-size your graphics window to 400x400. You would still enter 2000x2000 in the render output area. As long as the ratio is the same, your rendering will look like the preview.

Here is what I did...

*) Click the "Restore Down" button in the graphics area *) Tools-> Macro-> Record *) Re-size the window by dragging a corner *) Tools-> Macro-> Stop

You simply edit the macro and enter your size. Of course you can code in a dialog box to enter it in. Easy stuff.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson