solidworks2006 vs inventor11

hi, i need to buy a 3d software for solid modelling. i have a choice between solidworks2006 & inventor11. so plz advise as to which software i should buy. also plz give some points to support your opinion.

Reply to
jas.randhawa007

That's no choice! That's like saying "choose between the Cadillac or the KIA". UGS Solid Edge V19 and SolidWorks 2006 is a choice. Both on a stable and capable modeling kernel (Parasolid from UGS), both use a state of the art 2D/3D constraint manager (D-cubed from UGS), and both backed by companies/personnel who have been involved with 3D mechanical CAD for more than 2 decades.

Inventor employs a modified version of the ACIS modeling kernel which is not used in any mid-high end CAD software. They are now responsible for their own development and do not have an open data model, so their is no direct model transfer format such as their is with Parasolid (X_T, X_B). Inventor is behind both Solid Edge and SolidWorks in maturity, and their published sales are a farce as they now bundle it with ACAD and most of the seats they claim to have sold are still sitting on a customers shelf in an unopened box. Just ask if Inventor has PMI (Product Manufacturing Information) capability which allows annotation of a 3D model per ASME Y14.41 Product Data Definition. Both Solid Edge V19 and SolidWorks 2006 do!

Reply to
ken

Buy what will allow you to work as seamlessly as you can with your suppliers and most particuarly with your customers.

I am going to be a bit facetious, but if all your customers use Catia, then learn Catia and use it.

Bo

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bo

"Bo" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

May I , too (be facetious)? Ten (or 15?) years ago, that's what was in use in this company, when I joined it. Customers did not know a damn about CAD, and people here were (almost) "forced" to use the rear side of used xerox copies to make drawings.

We do not use the same tools as our customers anymore. We use SW.

If you are considering IV, do have SE and SW demos.

Reply to
Jean Marc

I a non-critical application, I can agree you don't need to use your customer's CAD app.

But if you are doing something critical, say nuclear engineering, airframes, etc., and your customer wants the data in native format they use, then figure a way to do native format they way the customers wants.

It gets back to the same old time worn aphorism from the machine shop. "Use the best tool for the job." If SWks is a great tool, or the best tool on that job, then go for it.

Bo

Jean Marc wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I'd go with TurboCAD if I were you. You have a Lot to learn and you won't waste a lot of money to boot.

Seriously; the fact you asked means you aren't qualified to evaluate the answers. Get some trusted source help making the decision. For most cover all the bases use it's a Solidworks | Pro/E toss up, maybe SE (look at user base and compatibility). Inventor or Alibre for low end use. Which one depends on whether or not you are doing medium (100+ parts) or smaller assemblies, need multi-user collaboration capability. Keep in mind that one of those is a start up, maybe some promise, the other looks like it's already peaked, one is focused on 3D, the other is an overpriced sideline from a 2D CAD developer that's been trying for a decade to make a name for itself in mechanical 3D and not quite made it.

Jeff Howard

Apart from many advises you have already received I would like to suggest you read IV and SW discussion forums for a month before committing yourself to a particular software. Subject, you are not in a hurry to buy one. I wish the company I work for did just that. But alas...

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

I have had IV 5 through IV10 and was so frustrated with IV in general that I switched over to SW even though I had over $10k invested in IV and about 2 years of struggling with it. When I changed over to SW I estimated that I was comprobably on the learning curve after about 3 months with SW compartd to about 9 months with IV.

The major reason was that IV was fairly unstable. Some minor change routinely resulted in dozens of errors that could take hours to track down and corret.

I just saw some of the IV11 roleout stuff and they do really make IV look good. SW looks like it is much harder to learn because things are tucked away here and there at times but the advantages of layout are only worth about two issues with IV and are shortly lost.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Reply to
Ed

"Bo" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I meant some (most?) of us sell to end users, that require the product, a user manual, and (for some) tips on installing the product. No CAD there. If you are doing sub-contracting, things are different.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Jean Marc, I see your point, and it is valid.

What I also see, though, is that when I work with a particular mold-maker for my plastic products, life goes a lot smoother if we exchange native format information.

It just so happens that LOTS & LOTS of mold makers are using SolidWorks in recent times. I find a lot of moldmakers using more than one 3D CAD application, because they (in turn) see value in having the native applications that THEIR customers use.

It works both ways.

Bo

Jean Marc wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Ken,

Actually, Inventor will read and write standard ACIS version 7 .sat files. We have a vendor in the U.K. that's using it.

We also have a new client that's currently using Solid Edge, they're switching over to Solidworks. Not because of capability, but because everyone they deal with uses Solidworks.

Mark

Reply to
MM

MM, and all, ... I rest my case.

Bo

MM wrote:

Reply to
Bo

The fact that Inventor reads/writes ACIS V7 files does no good when the rest of the industry is using ACIS V15. So if Autodesk developed Shapemanager beyond the capabilities that existed when they took the source code (V7), and Spatial developed ACIS beyond the capabilities of V7, then any app using a newer version of ACIS and the current version of Inventor must perform a conversion to render the internally stored model back to a V7 format model. What do you think happens with any features that required the newer version to exist??? That is not a neutral geometry transfer!.

Reply to
ken

I think this is highly dependent on the work that you do. If you are a manufacturer that makes most of what you produce from raw material, or otherwise design it in whole, then you use whatever works for you. If you are a job shop or supplier, then you work with whatever works for your customers because you are at their mercy.

No manufacturers that I know of ask what their vendors use (many mandate what their vendors must use), but I've seen it the other way around for sure. In my industry, if we asked our vendors what to use, we'd be on AutoCAD :^(

Reply to
ken

Ken,

Neither .sat (ACIS) or .x_b/t (Parasolid) carry over feature information. They aren't neutral formats, they are kernal level geometry descriptions. All they contain is B-rep information, faces, vertices, boundary curves, etc. You end up with a dumb solid.

Solidworks can read parasolid back to version 8, and acis back to version

1.6. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception with CAD software these days. The only system that I know of that won't read older kernal level files is U.G.. And they may have changed of late.

There will come a time when it may be an issue for I.V. though. I don't think reading older versions comes for free. There must be at least a minimal amount of coding necessary to maintain it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

These are all great discussions and I absolutely agree that it is extremely important to use the same software as your clients, (if possible). A similar issue, possibly more important is what is compatable with the shops that will be used.

The shop that I use has Master CAM which has a free module for reading SW files directly. This is very helpful.

Most of my clients use SW and most of the shops that I work with are compatable with SW, but beyone these two things, if the CAD software is unstable and hard to use, (which is the case with IV) then I'm not sure that compatability really matters.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Mark, I know what SAT/Parasolid file formats are. I know the specific modelers feature history is removed and that the result is a native rep of the internally stored B-rep model. My point is, if an app using Parasolid V18 saves a X_T file out to an earlier version, the risk is that some geometry may have to be approximated or completely removed due to the inability of an earlier Parasolid version to support it. The same is true for ShapeManager as well as ACIS based products.

And "Neutral" was not what I wanted to use. I was looking for something that meant translationless.

Being that they are geometry kernel models, there is no translation when sending them to another app using the same kernel (unless it is a much older version). So it is more of a geometry "exchange". In fact, apps based on the same kernel can often times directly open another apps files and get to it's geometry by directly reading the Parasolid stream from the file, and it is fast as there is no conversion.

Reply to
Ken

That sounds like a native data exchange compatibility driven change.

Something to consider while on the subject of compatibility, to my knowledge Solid Edge and Pro/E are the only two commonly named systems that have any kind of associative cross-release and / or cross-product interoperability. I'm suprised Solidworks and Catia don't seem to be investigating possibilities for direct data exchange. Kernel barrier?

Reply to
moonlighter

Ken,

Kinda figured you did know, just a terminology thing.

I just know that I've never had a problem saving recent Solidworks files into any older kernal file,,,yet.

Don't know about ACIS, but parasolid really only uses two types surfaces, analytic, and algorithmic. Analytic covers several sub types, planar, revolved, etc., and algorithmic covers the rest including most fillets. This basic surface math hasn't changed much (if at all) over the years. What has changed are the kernal level functions used to manipulate them.

Mark

information.

descriptions.

Shapemanager

Information)

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I don't know about you, bubba, but I wouldn't consider a program from a developer that can't think up an original name for the program and corporate execs video tape themselves running around in their underwear and masks.

Reply to
tail on the donkey