Suggestions for Mechanical Drawing Book

It has been 20 years (it pains me to say that), since I had any drawing classes and I have recently attempted to tackle solidworks. So my memory has faded a bit regarding the general principals of mechanical drawings. i.e. dimensioning, tolerancing, etc.

Since there doesn't seem to be a "Mechanical Drawing for Dummies" book out there, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good reference book?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Me too ;)

I still use my old text book when my memory fails me: "Technical Drawing" which was 7th edition at the time and is now up to the 12th edition (gasp) but as far as content, and standards, even old versions are fine, probably.

amazon: do a search on "technical drawing" $75 used ebay: do a search on "technical drawing mitchell"

$10 for the same text I have ;)

The only other books I tend to reach for on occasion are:

Geo-metrics II by Lowell W. Foster - (there is a handbook companion text too) which very clearly with emphasized/obvious sketches help you understand the myriad of combinations of geometric tolerancing. This text has been a life saver. There is no way that a general text book could cover this material so well. Do a search on Amazon for "geo-metrics" and all of Foster's books will come up. I see now they are up to vIII and it's much cheaper there than when I bought it in the Stanford U. book store. I cannot recommend this highly enough. $40 + 10

Guide to World Threads by Sidders - it does go overboard with screw info (ever wanted to know the difference between a swiss bottletop screw thread and a german bottletop screw thread? LOL) but it has EVERYTHING. Nice little book 5.5 x 8.5 Amazon search for "guide screw threads" $33

Pocket Ref by Thomas J. Glover - this little black book is a jewel for info. I reach for it several times a week. It is now at v3. For some reason I like v2 better - they reorganized it a bit in v3 and I can't find stuff as fast. Amazon search for "pocket ref Glover" Note that there are now a PILE of handbooks that he/they Sequoia publishing make - I've got at least 4 of them. $10

Good luck,

Adam.

Reply to
Calweb News

Interesting books, I agree, but you might want to consider other topics for cocktail party conversation....

Reply to
Michael