Surfacing examples of

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I could not find it in the archives. Is there a book, documentation from a class, or an online course that teaches how to surface and then create a thin-walled solid of an injection molded (thermoformed/RIM) part? A good (best practices) example part would be of great help as well.

Thanks in advance, Henry

Reply to
Henry

There is stuff online (my tutorials at dimontegroup.com, samples at mikewilson.com, and matt lombard used to have a plastic part modeling tutorial) but nothing I know of online is a complete 'soup to nuts' exploration of the issues you are facing. SW world is a good investment in learning ways to overcome issues - Keith Pederson and Mark Biastotti give great presentations . The VAR Keith Pederson works for might have some stuff - Keith and Jason Pancoast have consistently good tutorials.

CATI, a VAR in Chicago has a new training class that covers exactly what you want to learn. It is thorough, honest about SWx problems/restrictions, and tells you explicitly how to overcome them. In it, no corners are cut on the product design to 'make it a clean sample'. As a matter of fact, the product was designed so it would run into most of the really tough problems (overmolds, draft, shell problems, Y-brach surfaces, smooth ends, all ribs and fillets, really tough shutoffs, in-context modeling, compound files) It also gives 'best practices' and explanation for why the author thought they were 'best practices', along with descriptions of other legitimate ways to approach the problem so you can decide for yourself how to modify the 'best practice' for your business

(full disclosure - I wrote that class, and burned many of my own hours beyond what I was supposed to do just because I had guys like you explicitly in mind. Also on the full disclosure - We don't get an extra penny if anyone attends, so I have no financial interest in promoting it. Take it or leave it, and it doesn't effect me at all). I do not know if they have any plans to make it available to anyone remotely. You may try to contact them and find out -

Good luck- Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Thanks for the info. Your presentations (and the ones at IDEO) have been a great resourse in the past. I'll look in cati.

Reply to
Henry

Hello Ed,

I am on the west coast, and so it is probably not possible for me to attend a class in Chicago, but it would be great to obtain access to any presentation materials or documentation from your class. Did anyone record it? I would love to buy audio tapes and tutorial files and video presentations if any exist.

Thanks for all your indirect help in the past.

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Edward T Eat> There is stuff online (my tutorials at dimontegroup.com, samples at

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Ed:

I checked the CATI website but did not see the class posted. There are other classes I've taken before but not the one you mention. Could you check the site and provide a URL to it, if you don't mind. Thank you.

Arif Oguz

Reply to
Arif Oguz

I've got an email into the guy I was working with - I will let you know when I get a response.

Reply to
edeaton