SW 2006 64-bit beta processor requirements

The SW2006 64-bit beta states a processor requirement of an AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon EM64T. Does anyone know if this literally means the software will not operate on the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Pentium 4 series EM64T, and Pentium D series EM64T chips? As the software is not yet available, even my VAR is uncertain.

Reply to
johnmhill

I would bet that it will run fine of the Athlon's it just won't be "supported"

KM

Reply to
ken.maren

Yuo can download the preliminary version now after registration John

Reply to
JN

Wouldn't that kind of make a large majority of 64bit chip owners unsupported? I can't believe they're only supporting Opterons.

Isn't the only basic difference that Opteron can run SMP? Whereas athlon is single cpu only?

-john

Reply to
John J

One of our IT guys brought in his game computer to see how it ran SolidWorks. It had a 2.4 GHz, non-Opteron, 64 bit AMD processor with 1 GB of RAM and a couple of RAID 0 disks. He had overclocked it to 2.5 GHz. It was

1.9 times as fast as our 2 GHz, 32 bit AMD machines doing the ship in a bottle (26.5 sec. vs. 49.7), 1.7 times as fast rebuilding one of our larger parts (3:05 vs. 5:14), and 1.55 times as fast opening a large assembly (4:10 vs. 6:27).

Jerry Steiger

"64 bit AMD processor " I had similar results comparing the 64 AMD against P4s.

It is a great CPU for the money.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

There were three replies to a similar question in the SolidWorks Community. All were running Athlon rather than Opteron and all were very positive. Given the price difference between Athlon and Opteron processors and the lack of multi-core or multi-processor support from SolidWorks, it seems like it would be in the best interest of SolidWorks to support the Athlon 64-bit systems.

Jerry Steiger