AMD 64 Bit processor

Any body running Pro/E Wildfire a AMD 64bit processor?
How does it compare to an Intel box?
Also, planning on buying an AMD 64Bit and installing XP 64 Bit for AMD
"evaluation software" with Pro/E Wildfire, I need to go over the 2GB memory
problem. Anyone tried this yet?
We have a Sun box with 1GB of Ram an it is too slow for the project.
Thank you
Robert Trepanier
Sr. Mech Designer
NRC
Reply to
Robert Trepanier
I haven't tried a 64 yet, but would strongly recommend if you only want one machine, and want to do work with it instead of learn about configuring xp, go with a mainstream mid market 'everyone and his dog has one and the bugs have been worked out PTC certified' machine if it will do the job adequately.
I see NTSI sell 64 bit machines though, and they know the score, you probably wouldn't go far wrong with one of those if you *must* have the performance.
Reply to
John Wade
Is Pro/E compiled for 64-bit?
The only advantage for XP I know of is that you can fairly easily open it up to give you 4GB virt. mem. Otherwise you hit the 1.7GB per app. wall. I have been told that w/ W2K the only alternative is to run Enterprise Server. We do not support XP here.
John Wade wrote:
Reply to
Bruce Treffinger
Interesting bit of info about the 2Gb limit in XP from SW
Basically, there is a not well known fix available from Microsoft to get up to 3 Gb in XP Pro.
Bruce Treff> Is Pro/E compiled for 64-bit?
Reply to
Chris Gosnell
There's a download on PTC's website for a 64 bit version
"PRO/ENGINEER WILDFIRE WINDOWS 64-BIT (INCLUDES PRO/MECHANICA) CD SET"
Reply to
Solids
Chris-
WE use Windows XP with the /3GB switch and ProE (xtop.exe) does get access to 3GB without problems. Remember, you also have to tweak XTOP.exe with the imagecfg.exe tool from PTC for it to work.
Good Luck!
PS
Reply to
PS