SW Vista -First Impressions

I've just loaded SW Vista on my box and I have to admit... The new Vista graphics in windows and Solidworks is quite sexy. When using XP again it seems archaic. The biggest thing because of the improved Vista graphics is the thumbnail previews of objects inlcuding solidworks files (Drawings, Parts, and Assemblies). The large thumbnails should be renamed to Palm Prints as they are that large and clear. Finally a thumbnail preview that is actually useful it's so large and clear.

For anyone looking into purchasing a new monitor I would reccomend the largest one you can afford. With the extra viewing space you'll be glad you did.

Also... it may be just me but it does seem much more responisive and even opens in about a second or two (once opened for the first time of course).

Anyways, let's just hope they've also improved on stability. And I don't think I'm violating any beta agreements because the improved Vista graphical interface is already widely known.

Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

if it is ok with NDA can you tell us how much memory is being used with SW open in Vista please.. ...and I presume file sizes are bigger now cos of the 'palms' but I won't ask about it... :o)

Reply to
neilscad

How's about a screen shot of this oh so gooderer UI? :)

Reply to
Anonymous

really, is it that important what it looks like?? shouldn't the question be,... how it performs!??????

please, seriously,.. read some articles on vista's performance, or how much memory is needed just to run it!????

I took ALL the cute stuff off because I'm interested in performance, not glitter.

for those interested in what Vista lools like...

pinch me,.. click my ruby slippers,... nothing,.. I don't get it,...?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

i for one installed vista ultimate

not keen it took up nearly 11GB of space

wasnt happy with SW Vista either

dont like way vista asks if im sure about everything i do

will be a long time before i change from xp

Reply to
mikemcd

i for one installed vista ultimate

not keen it took up nearly 11GB of space

wasnt happy with SW Vista either

dont like way vista asks if im sure about everything i do

will be a long time before i change from xp

Reply to
mikemcd

yea this may be true for at least a year or two as far as performance goes on todays computers. But that will all change as the hardware progresses over the coming years.

I pretty much have a brand new alienware box with some pretty modest specs. So my performace may be a little bias.

Let's face it. Windows 3.1 would run like a dream on todays machines from a performance stand point. But it's unable to take advantage of many of todays graphics technologies and control input.

I have to believe this is the same with Vista. I expect later software versions to be better optimized for this new engine and possibly better support for other stuff as well. Multicore processors come to mind.

Maybe I am being too optimistic but you have to start somewhere when it comes to progression. The hardware coming in a couple years from now will surely be multiple processor cores and other goodies. Vista will surely run like a dream then and maybe that's what the plan calls for. And by that time they too will have "most" of the bugs worked out (Does this sound familiar???).

Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Please upload some pics and post the links :)

If you need a free image host, photobucket is great.

Reply to
SW Monkey

After seeing the XGL demo and what Sculley says about it's performance Vista looks obsolete.

Reply to
TOP

maybe a dumb question as i dont know much about other OS

does solidworks run on linux

Reply to
mikemcd

I was reffering to the UI of SolidWorks.

Reply to
Anonymous

The short answer is no.

Jerry Steiger

The interesting thing is what Parallels is comin up with....

Parallels for Mac lets you run WinXP side by side in another window with Mac OSX.

The rumors from the Beta testers is that a newer implementation lets Windows applications run directly in Mac OSX.

I know this only from rumor mill, and it is likely that performance with a heavy duty CAD application is not something Parallels envisioned with the new software...but time will tell.

Indeed, I don't really care which OS I use any longer as long as I can keep running 100% of the time without bugs & crashes.

Bo

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Yeah, it's longer.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I was just running Parallels Workstation 2.2 demo (on XP) the other day. It's not bad, I'm testing/booting some linux/solaris/bsd live cd's (soundcard errors only) It's not very fast but it works!

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador