SW2006 SP0.0 - General Concensus

I am interested in the general concensus of your thoughts about SW2006. We have received all of our seats and I have been sitting on them for a few weeks. Just based on past history with 0.0 releases I am reluctant to install. However we are all eager to upgrade.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
George

It takes a brave soul to upgrade to SP0 of anything. It's difficult for me to imagine productivity gains sufficient to make up for the inevitable heartaches--which is why my company won't be going anywhere near it for at least a couple SPs.

Reply to
Michael

Do you really expect a consensus from us?

Anyhow, I've already run a couple "machine design" projects through it. There are a few new bugs. *yawn*

I love the 3DSketch enhancements, and the background updating of drawing views. Very nice.

I think you'll have to evaluate it for yourself.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I haven't used 2006 for any projects yet because my customers to this point have all been on 2005. There are a few assembly visualization enhancements which I really want to be using. PDMWorks 2006 is a big improvement, and I'm already using that. Photoworks has nice new capabilities with the camera, which I have used for a few renderings.

Bugs are a dime a dozen even in the existing version, so a few new ones may help alleviate boredom more than anything else. If you wait for perfect software, you'll never move forward. The existing version is not perfect.

Overall, though, most of the new features are pretty forgettable. There doesn't seem to be an overall compelling reason to move. This is probably good news, since with fewer changes it will hopefully take fewer service packs to repair.

Reply to
matt

You probably should have one seat installed for evaluation purposes. You can't expect others to catch all the problems you might run into. For a low impact test try running models through 2006 that you find have bugs in 2005 and see if they are fixed.

Also be checking 2006 for little things. For example in 2004 I use the reload dialog to capture the full pathname using CTRL-C. Obviously the majority of users didn't like this functionality so it was removed in

2005 and 2006. So I will have to write a macro to do what was previously easy to do.
Reply to
TOP