toolbox

What is the cost of SW Toolbox and is it worth getting?

Reply to
JMV

IIRC the cost is around 800USD. Many user here don't like it, because of the limitations of smart fasteners and the pitfalls of sharing files on a network (though it can be done).

My take on it is this: Smart fasteners aren't nearly smart enough to be useful. Every new configuration of a component must have custom properties added manually for correct information to appear in the BOM. Many common components are not available (o-rings, etc.).

At best, it seems to be an awkward parts library, with some beam and bearing calculators. Don't let the salesdroids convince you that you need Smart Fasteners. Consider other parts libraries. Have alook at hte models you can get for free from

Dale Dunn

I have to agree as well. The toolbox generally serves no purpose unless you are on a dial-up connection or don't have net access at your station. But the chances of that are as likely as SW making it easier to place and attach datum flags. Like Dale said checkout the McMaster-Carr website and check out

as well. They have a ton of industry-supplier links and a lot of user-uploaded models as well.

Reply to
motoproto

JMV wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@megapath.net:

The upfront cost is buying SW Office. Buying TB by itself it's way too expensive, but as part of Office, you might as well try it. Other things in office are useful.

The long-term cost of TB is what you should be wondering about. Resellers are fond of calling it a cost savings or productivity tool, but you should learn the facts before making your own judgment.

If you want to do a little reading and learn something about how TB works, most importantly the pitfalls, check out a little paper on my website.

Go to the Rules of Thumb link, then the "More Toolbox" link. 9 pages, pdf. I've dealt with this product from the end user, implementation/admin and tech support roles, and while I can't pretend to know everything about it, I know enough.

matt

Reply to
matt