weldment feature - usable?

I'm doing more weldments lately, and started through the tutorial. The modeling section was simple enough, but in the drawing part, the ballooning didn't work very well at all. Several of the components cannot be ballooned at all. I need to get BOMs filled in accurately. Is this feature ready for production drawing use?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Weldments use a Cut List (multi-body part) not a BOM (assembly). Works ok for us.

hth

Reply to
kb

Am I correct in assuming that the cut-list information can't be incorporated into the top level BOM on a drawing of a higher assembly? This would look like the components within a subassembly. I have some customers that want all components to be listed out in the top BOM.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

You are correct, the weldment would be listed as an one item.

Reply to
kb

Sometimes, we all find a customer that want's strange things. But, you imply that you have more then one that want's the same strange BOM configuration. Sometimes it is better to just tell your customers that this is not easily done and that it will cost more to do it by hand. A matter of "customer management".

There are a lot of purchased parts that consist of more then one individual parts that come as a sub-assembly and are only listed once on the BOM. I think that a good rule of thumb for any BOM "system" is that there is only a single reference to any one item. This eliminates the error of one of the call outs being changed and the secondary callouts being missed, (which creates a discrepency). It is also a good rule of thumb that the information for a weldment, (ie. sub-assembly) to be kept separate of the main assembly. Otherwise the main assembly BOM can easily grow so large that it is very hard to find a individual item. Then there is the problem of when there are multiple items of the weldment on the assmbly. If there are two or more cross bars in the weldment and there are multiple weldments, and if the weldment items are in the BOM then the total number of cross bars need to be multiplied. But, every time there are changes in the number of weldments in the assembly, the quantity for every item in the weldment will need to be updated in the BOM. Because of this and a number of other potential situations, to put weldment parts, (or any sub-assembly) into the main assembly is just asking for big trouble. It is much better to keep them separated, which is what SW programmed in as a standard practice.

Hope this help you to be able to "guide" your clients, at least most of them.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Customers in this case are DOD aircraft and automotive (household names), so I don't think I'll be guiding them too much into new procedures and away from their "strange things". I think the gist of having all the components in the main BOM has to do with exporting data out (from one source) that can be massaged by the people doing the buying, scheduling, cutting, etc. They don't want to go through numerous drawing sheets to complete a takeoff. I would tend to agree with them on this, so I guess I disagree with your approach pretty much down the line.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

There is one other alternative.

In the weldment;

- right click on each body

- insert into new part

- after each component has been saved start a new assy

- in the new sub-assy, insert each saved body from the weldment

- select origin of new sub-assy for insertion point for "each" body

That's correct, each component will be fixed to the sub-assy origin and presto you're done. No mates! Neat thing is its dynamic. If the weldment (part) changes so do the saved bodies which ultimately results in the sub-assy updating. You now have a sub-assy to which you can add a bom.

However, making individual drawings for each tube will suk, imho.

hth kenneth

Reply to
kb

kenneth that sounds interesting and i'll try it out. i wonder if it really is any faster than doing a traditional subassembly (instead of the weldment feature) in the first place. probably the only way to know for sure is to test drive it. bill

Reply to
bill allemann

it's faster!

zero mates in the sub-assy is a huge incentive. plus the trimming/extending/mitre features, gussets, end caps etc that weldments provide. need i say more.

weldments are fast and easy to create, not to mention flat out cool to use.

Reply to
kb