Work around vs Being Creative

I write this article if only to generate some thoughts on this subject.

I think that it can be said that today's 3D software is light years beyond even what was out 10-15 years ago. And who's to say where it will be in that same time span in the future. But dreaming about the future and what will be doesn't really help us much now in our day to day battle with the clicks of our mouse in these 3D Programs.

I don't think there is or rather there should never be just one 3D modeling program that has all of the solutions. Next to impossible comes to mind when I think of that. Each program has its Pros and Cons. You have your "fan boy" for each program and they will go down tooth and nail saying that theirs in the best.

So this brings me to the subject at hand. I am sure that if I could do a "by show of hands" there would be 100% hands raised because 3D program "A" just wasn't working quite the way we know that it should. Be it a bug because some line of code went wrong. Be it some functionality that has been implemented that all of a sudden now throws some other function out of wack. And then this only happens when you are under a deadline and it has to be out yesterday and your voice is going horse because all of the screaming that you did at your computer didn't seem to help.

It's at this point that you can either kill or be killed. You dig down deep and search for that "work around" so as to get the job out the door and all else be dammed. You can worry about the consequences tomorrow, even though you would much rather have it "work the way it's supposed to". Its here that I ask the question, is not everything that we do not a "work around" in some way shape or form. And how many times have you found a new use for a tool or feature that you either never used before or forgot about? I mean where would we be with out adversity and things "working the way they should"? (I say that is jest of course)

So it's brief, and to the point and maybe some of you have some bullet points to share or add to this.

Regards.........

Reply to
cadjunkie

If my guess is right you are using a program that has finally created a UI that you can comprehend giving you access to functions that have been available for at least 20 to 30 years.

Now, what're we talking about?

Reply to
whoosh

WTF?

Reply to
ms

you use the tools you have, like a carpenter with a box of tools - the creativity is both in the job your'e doing and the way you go about doing it with what you have to get it done. However, it's annoying when the hammer that's supposed to be metal turns out to be rubber and keeps bouncing off the nail.

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

Great Post,

I find myself thinking and working along similar lines...

.... even last night - had a deadline, and what appeared to be a perfectly staightforward shape just wouldnt take fillet rads (swks

2006sp5). So, Instead of what is normally 2 mouse clicks on fillet, I ended up doing multiple swept cuts - not elegant but got the job done. ... OK I'll have to go back upstream in the model and maybe find some very slightly doggy surface or edge ..... but yawn... abit more intellegence and better GUI feedback would be expected ... certainly not creative use of my time.

yeh yeh .... it was as much my fault for not modelling it perfectly from the start. But yes I too dream about how much better software could be.

Reply to
Life in Mono