a question about a new On30 trolley

Hi all...

Well, here's my second newbie post about my first electric train purchase. We're getting the last of our holiday stuff put away, and the last thing standing is our new Bachmann On30 Trolley and track. I'm still enjoying seeing it set up. Anyway, I've noticed that in the last week or so, when I first power it up for a session of running, it runs much slower than it did when I first set it up a few weeks back, often appearing to almost "struggle" to keep going. Normally after running a while it gets better, but I'm still wondering what's going on. Is is more likely an electical or a mechanical thing? I'm wondering if it's struggling a bit due to a need for lubrication, or possibly poor electrical continuity somehow. Thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg spake thus:

I've never seen this model, never even read about it, but I can almost assure you the problem is electrical (poor contact because of dirt somewhere), having seen the same problem many times with other models. Check the usual culprits: track, wheels, contact points on vehicle.

Try denatured (ispropyl) alcohol on the track first (rubbing alcohol is not as good but OK) to get any grime and grease off it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You might have an oily residue on the track and it probably has transferred to the wheels. It's always a good idea to clean the track and wheels on new trains before running.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

You might have an oily residue on the track and it probably has transferred to the wheels. It's always a good idea to clean the track and wheels on new trains before running.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

It's probably dirt on the track and/or wheels, but if you've been running it on the floor it could be lint in the motor. Or even worse, Xmas icicles.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard