Atlas 2-Bay Open Hopper

> Atlas' version of the 2-Bay Offset Side Hopper with Flat ends was modeled after >> the open hoppers that were built in the 1930's and the 1940's to transport coal.

Quick question ... what would be a prototypical [engine style and/or engine type] to haul a consist of these coal hopper cars?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

What railroad do you favor? Eastern or Western? What type of line - mine branch, mountain main line, or flat land main line? As one example, the Atlas cars are very close to a series used on the C&O. A C&O USRA 2-6-6-2 would be appropriate for hauling shorter trains of hoppers from remote mines on steep, curving branches in WV to marshalling yards. 2-8-8-2's, or later

2-6-6-6's, might then be most appropriate for the main line coal drags out of the mountains. The C&O often used 2-8-4's on coal drags on the gentle down hill line along the James River in VA from Clifton Forge to the coal piers at Newport News. For coal going north to Lake Erie ports across the more rolling lines in OH, the C&O often used 2-10-4's. For another railroad in another place, the answers will be different. Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer

Good answer, Gary. OTOH, prior to 1943, the eastern coal would get a K-2 or K-3 Mike, and the branch lines would as like get an H-4 or H-6. Heck, they were mainline power, too. The PRR had an entirely different set of motive power, as did the B&O, Western Maryland, etc. But "bottom line," the coal train was drag freight -- lots of torque, not a great deal of speed. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

Geezer and Steam Gene ...

Thanks so much for the great information! I really appreciate it. I'm looking to drag a coal train from 'hidden staging' onto a fictitious layout. I have a 2-8-8-2 which will be a terrific option. Could I add a caboose to this train?

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan