Balsa wood Strenghtening

I'm using balsa wood for a long highway bridge on our HO layout. Not for the road bed or piers but for the railing and the 'carriers' or
concrete beams below The bridge has several curves and elevations and the balsa is easy to soak and shape. . Balsa is easy to work with but not very strong. I wonder if a coat of varnish would soak in to the porous wood and strengthen it Or perhaps some other kind of paint
Ben and grandson Mitchell
On 5/3/2010 1:03 PM Ben spake thus:

Wouldn't hurt, but probably wouldn't have much effect.
You might consider adding some structural supports made of basswood or birch, which are both stronger than balsa. Maybe behind the beams or inside the structure where it wouldn't be seen. Even pine would work if you could rip some small pieces yourself.
On 5/3/2010 3:03 PM, Ben wrote:

Perhaps mixing some white glue with your soaking solution that would stiffen it up as it dries? Just an idea; have never tried it.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Slight worry it might cause the wood to warp as the glue shrinks as it dries, and goes on shrinking for an awfully long time. I think the basswod suggestion was probably the way to go..
Regards
Mike
Mike Smith wrote:

Or use the Dope used by model aircraft builders. Mix some talcum Powder in it as a filler to remove the grain.
Peter
Ben wrote:

Model aircrafters use acetate, nitrate or butyrate 'dope' to strengthen balsa structures and shrink coverings.