Block Section Problem

Hi, I am new to this site as well as model railroading. Although I've always had an interest in this hobby for as long as I can remember, nothing really materialized until a few weeks ago. Anyhow, I had just finished completing my somewhat simple layout consisting of an inner and outter oval track connected via remote switches (Lionel 0 scale fastrack system, Polar Express Loco). Both sections (blocks) were isolated using 1 3/8 inch isolating track with each having a separate transformer.

I wanted to switch block section and while coasting toward the transition point, I powered up the other transformer, but the engine just stopped and would not move. I then immediately realized that I had not checked for proper phase between the blocks. I placed the train back on the main outter track and it seemed to run fine (reserve, neutral, foward, smoke, whistle). I checked the phase afterwards and low and below is wasn't correct.

My question is that despite the train running apparently 'normal' could this have caused any kind of damage to the internal components, especially the engine? Has this mishap potentially shortened the train's life? The transfomers seem fine.

Do I have to be concerned?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Max

Reply to
maxto

[ Snip ]

I don't do Lionel, but I'd say you don't have to be concerned.

You straightened out the transformers' phase problem, and if everything works now, I don't see anyplace where damage could have occurred.

The short would have taken place between wheels on one side of the isolation track and wheels on the other. The circuit would be through the loco frame. The motor and reverser would have been out of that circuit.

If you left the train in that position long enough, one or both of the circuit breakers on the transformers would have tripped. That tripping would protect the transformers from further damage.

Welcome to the newsgroup and to model railroading. Have fun and remember: short circuits happen.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I got lucky this time! I hope I won't have any more short circuits . . . . . at least for a while!

This is a great site.

Thanks aga>maxto wrote:

Reply to
maxto via ModelGeeks.com