Detection & signals

I'm researching adding detection & signals to my DCC layout. I don't want computer control or to interface with Digitrax, just to add working signals. Nor do I want to spend more than necessary.

It appears that RR-CirKits

offers an economical detector. I'd appreciate hearing experience or alternatives.

For signals I found Oregon Rail Supply

their web site doesn't have pictures, but Loy's and Walther's do. Any experience? Do I need to use their LEDs?

Another inexpensive source is IHC

My experience with them is mixed. Some products were very good, others not at all. Anyone using their targets?

Some of my signals will be at multi-track tunnel entrances. Is it prototypical to mount the signal heads on framework attached to the portal? Suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Marshall D Abrams

Look at the following signal control system:

Both if the above firms have signal control systems that will interface with your dectectors.

Jim Bernier

Marshall D Abrams wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

The detector is your basic Twin-D, a version of the Twin-T circuit of long ago. It will work well with DCC and provide a good detection of trains. If you also put resistors or resistance paint on the axles of the cars, you can also detect the cars present on the section of track. The signalling system will also work correctly as long as you provide the correct inputs for the trackage that the signals are governing. The biggest mistake that people make is not figuring out all of the combinations that the signal is governed by. A single piece of track with no turnouts on it isn't hard but when you have leading point turnouts (train diverges from main) or trainling point (train derails from incorrect point aliignment) turnouts there will be differences in the way that the signal operates. Crossing over to another track or even worse, going thorugh a number of turnouts with all of the selections that would be available can make for an interesting exercise in logic construction. Remember that the only time that a train gets a green is when it can approach the next signal at full speed. A yellow light indicates that the next signal is probably red for some reason. In addition, track between two signals at a location (turnouts tend to go between the two directions of signals) are no mans land and must trip the signals if there is something there.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Marshall:

I have been using Integrated Signal Systems with command control for 12 years and am very happy with it. They make the most logical line to wire, and can be obtained in various points of "built up" to save money.

They provide both signals and circuitry for a variety of prototypes. They also have modules for 3-color and searchlight signals.

The system is designed in a very logical way -- it "reflects" the track plan, with a switch module providing electronic switching. Build the modules as a reflection of your track plan and wire between them just if you were creating a two or three rail track from one to the next. Very easy to figure out complex interlockings

Many of the signaling systems do detection of up to 16 blocks at a single point. I don't like that because it means you have to run heavy gauge wires back to that point. I prefer to have the electronics for each interlocking located as close to the interlocking as possible. ISS is arranged this way.

They have been very helpful in technical support. I have just switched to DCC. I had some problems with the conversion vis. my signals (false detection due the effect of high frequency AC). The new owner of ISS, who does warranty work for NCE, has talked me through the process of revising the occupancy detectors (changing two resistors) to be less sensitive. Obviously, if you start installing ISS on a DCC system you will get detectors that are already set up for it. You can also use North Coast Engineering's BD20 for occupancy detection; this has the advantage that there is absolutely no electrical connection between rail and signals (BD20 works on detecting impedence in a wire loop).

Good luck. Signals are a lot of work, but I really like the way it comes out at the end.

rs

Reply to
Richard Stern