Foam core?

I am busily putting together a track plan for an N-scale railroad based on one of the Kalmbach books. My design is roughly 36 x 72 inches.

Said book uses half inch foam core (aka artist matte board) as the base material. Since this seems kinder on the eye and hand than foam insulation, I am likely to go with this suggsetion. I have used the stuff in other contexts, and it glues nicely, does not really melt at reasonable temperatures, does not flake, and cuts well with an xacto knife.

Does anyone have any comments on this material? The layout will be supported by a rather large flat piece of furniture, so it does not need a lot of structural strength.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on where to get the stuff, either delivered or local to south Orange County, CA?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Ellsworth

You might want to take a look at Gatorboard. It's like foam core but the "skins" are more like the skins on MDO - stronger than the paper skin. Do a web search on the name.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Also known as "Gatorfoam". It is a registered product of International Paper.

Contact: Dave Myers 3471 Waterbury Stowe Rd. Waterbury Center, VT 05677 (802) 244-1471 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Not affiliated, just got his business card at the last show in Timonium, MD. Hope this helps. Gene Thommen Bedford, VA.

"The poorest of all men is not the man without a cent but the man without a dream."

To reply via E-mail, pry the "cap" off the address.

Reply to
Gene

I've built the layout in the book "N Scale Layout that Grows", which uses the 1/2 inch foamcore as both surface and framing support. It takes paint and glues well, and is so light I can lift and carry the layout, about the same size you're building.

Art supply and framing places are best bets to find it in the large size - craft stores might only have 30x40 sized sheets. If you can deal with a framer's supply dealer, that would generally be best price source.

Val

Reply to
VManes

Thanks, folks for the great reccommendations!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Ellsworth