Re: Creating Forming Styrofoam (dinnerware like) Parts??

FOSECO

They make custom lost foam patterns.

Tooling isn't cheap. Price based on volume. Expect to pay $20K plus for tooling depending on the complexity of your pattern.

You could try pouring urethane into hand made plastic moulds as one-offs for hobby use.

Or buy blocks of Styrofoam and cut with a hot wire. Do only in well ventilated areas as this produces nasty chemical by-products.

Or machine your part on a CNC...

Can anyone point me to companies out there that can produce parts made > out of the same material that common sytrofoam dinner plates are made > from? You know that white, relativity rigid, smooth skinned, > lightweight and thin foam-like material. I would like to get an idea > of how much the setup charges would be to mold small parts (< 20 sq. > in.) out of this material. After searching a bit on the net it looks > like the process is rather complex and out of the reach of the > hobbiest. Any companies out there that mold this stuff in medium > quantities? Thanks in advance for any help... please post answers to > the group if possible.
Reply to
Mike D2

I guess my real question is what do you call the material used in those white styrofoam dinner plates. The foam commonly used to make wings on model airplanes or pack computer monitors, or is sold in blocks at the local Lowes is not the same stuff. The dinner plate material is rigid in thin sheets and has a smooth skin (very small cells?). If I knew the name of the material or the name of the process used to build the plates I could call around to manufacturers to get more info. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Daniel Rubin

Just visited your site. Beautiful work. Very impressive.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Billy,

Thanks for the info! One question... is the sheet stock heated before vacuum forming? I am curious to know how this material would hold the form if it was not heated?

Thanks

- Dan

Reply to
Daniel Rubin