Gluing Styrofoam?

Howdy Folks,

I'm working on a new design, and have opted to use flat foam this time around. I'm building a smaller "chuck model" to test flight stability and stuff, but also wanted to use the graphics I designed on it. All the glues I've tried (various versions of "white glue") won't stick permanently to the thin styrofoam I'm using (basically egg carton stuff).

Any suggestions for something that will stay put?

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve

try and find a water based contact adhesive..this is some kind of latex-ish sort of stuff the dries a bit rubbery. It is the best adhesive for styrene foam I have found yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi

Have you tried low odour cyano; it usually sticks styrofoam.

However, be careful of using kicker with it. Be very sparing - use too much and it will melt the foam.

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

Or foam-safe CA, with foam safe kicker.

What ever you do, remember that the surface of the foam rips off very easily -- you can stress a perfectly good glue joint and rip foam out from under it, without ever losing the joint.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
MJKolodziej

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

In the Uk it is called Copydex, used in offices etc and something simular is probably available fvrom any office supplies joint in the U.S,

regards, Terry

P.S dont get it on cloth as it is bloody impossible to remove once dried.

Reply to
Terence Lynock

In the Uk it is called Copydex, used in offices etc and something simular is probably available fvrom any office supplies joint in the U.S,

regards, Terry

P.S dont get it on cloth as it is bloody impossible to remove once dried.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Copydex is a common latex-based rubber cement in the UK. It can be easily recognised by its characteristic "fishy" odour. Also known as "fishoy glue" this contact adhesive is commonly used when sticking a variety of materials, such as paper, board, upholstery, and carpet. The founder of this product was a certain Mr Jim Bean Sherwood, who's product has sold globally

Reply to
Bob Cowell

In the USA it is called rubber cement. Coat both surfaces, let it get almost dry, then press the surfaces together and it won't come apart.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Typically, most people use either "Foam Safe" CA (about $10 a bottle last time I bought some ) or 5 minute epoxy (inexpensive, but heavier than foam safe CA )

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I've tried the water based contact cement with lousy results. Foam safe CA or epoxy work well, but my favorite is a $3 glue I found in a craft store. It works like a contact cement, but it can dry for 2 days and still stick like crazy. I've used it to build up layers of styrofaoam and to line a battery with plastic "foam rubber". I also worked well when I made a putt-putt boat out of foam meat trays, so it should work well for you. Check your local craft store for foam glues.

Reply to
BCRandy

I knew a guy years ago who was locally famous for building really great looking airplanes, and he always built sheeted foam wings. His standard method of sheeting the foam wings was to spray the skin and the core with aerosol contact cement, then put them together. I tried building a few planes this way and the wings failed. I don't think he ever had a problem with it, though.

I wonder if I would have better results with brush-on cement.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

That's one., Ive got something else made by Evostik..works as well if not better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nuh-uh. "Rubber Cement" uses petroleum solvents that will aggressively dissolve the foam -- probably before it even touches. "Water-based rubber cement", maybe.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Steve a écrit :

For prototypes, I use 3M-77 spray contact glue and foam safe CA. The

3M-77 can be unglued using lighter gaz fluid (very small quantity). It will glue most woods, plastics, ordinary foams and EPP. To keep from making a mess, I use a cardboard cache. Good luck Yvan
Reply to
Texman

We sell "UHU Creativ" glue which is a contact cement designed for gluing foam. GWS glue that comes with their planes is the same stuff.

Randy Model Airplane Engineering

R.J. Roman

Reply to
Poxy

Thats a nice brand name..I keep meaning to find some foam friendly rubbery goopy glues..UHU always had plenty in their range.

Canopies, and snake outers are two things that need something like that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi again all!

Wow, thanks for all the responses, several things to try listed here.

I'm off to the hobby store today, and there's a big-chain craft store on the way home I'll check out as well.

Thanks again. Steve

Reply to
Steve

LOW TEMP HOT GLUE GUNS! Nothing works easier or quicker.

Reply to
AV8R

PL 400 construction glue in a tube. Its more than you need but if you run a drywall screw in the end it will last forever. We use it on large chuncks of foam in theatre production. After it sets up you can carve, sand. Use a mask of course. Small objects can be glued, use paint sticks on both sides and use masking tape to hold until it bonds. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson