new airliner design on BBC video

Just saw the video on the BBC website. Interesting stuff (minor gripe, although I could use Solaris and RealPlayer8 plugin in Mozilla for all videos up to now, this one complained that the player was too old, and offered to download a Windows executable for me... how silly!).

Living in the vicinity of airports is clearly something of a worry in in overcrowded cities, and for those unable to choose where they live (um, that would be most of us, eh). But the mind boggles at some of the statements of the narrator.

"The design promises huge benefits for anyone living underneath the flightpath..." geez! I can picture Werner von Braun up in front of the Reich technical evaluation panel comparing the virtues of his new design versus the older one: "Yes, meine Herren, vi haf all heard ze V1. Now, ze V2, it promises huge benefits for anyvon living underneas its flightpass...."

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Gernot Hassenpflug) wrote in :

Hng? How would a quieter airliner not be a good thing? Noise *is* a major factor. Over here, the national airport (Schiphol) is limited in capacity not by its runways or other infrastructure, but by noise regulations. An ongoing project to isolate thousands of nearby homes is costing hundreds of millions. Studies show the constant noise affects everyone (not just by lack of sleep, but there are also more subtle effects, e.g. a diminished ability to concentrate).

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Harro> Hng? How would a quieter airliner not be a good thing? Harro> Noise *is* a major factor.

I forgot the smiley... Tongue-in-cheek post. I know, I need to get out more... but my lab is keeping me in.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

where on bbc.com did you find this video? I did not see it there.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

would you mind posting a link to the mentioned website?

Reply to
Shawn

Hi Everyone,

To find the BBC video Gernot refers to first go to the following site:

On the top right hand corner you will see a box stating 'Watch BBC news in video' , click on it and it opens up a new window. In the top right hand corner there is a search function and all I did was enter the word 'aircraft' and the relevant article/video comes up to be clicked on to play, being 'World's first silent plane designed'.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

Reply to
SL

What this is is an off-shoot of the Blended Wing-Body aircraft project:

What's possibly been added (from the "sound" of it - re: microphones) is some aeroacoustic feedback to also help cancel noise...a concept which has been around at least since before I got my degree.

I found the mention of the problem slowing the aircraft down to be interesting...

Reply to
Rufus

Doesn't this run into the same old "evacuate the cabin in 30 seconds" problem? Seems like the reason we are still using tubes with wings is they are a lot easier to get out of, rather than structural and aerodynamic efficiency.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

A little of that, though I'd think the evec issue could be easily solved. It happens that I'm acquainted with one of the guys that originated the aerodynamic concept - he's managed to convince me, though more as a cargo and not a passenger aircraft. Maybe...

It may suffer a little of "people won't fly on anything unfamiliar" as a passenger jet. I seem to recall conversations about that facter concerning the Sonic Cruiser - thoughts that it might appear a bit "radical" in the public eye:

Another really neat looking, classy design...and yet the stock went up on the announcement that it was cancelled...go figure.

Reply to
Rufus

Problem with alot of sedigns is the pasenger comfort. With the flying wing concepts, the folks further away fromg the centerline would not be having the most enjoyable ride. I imagine baggage and fuel issues would also come into play. Point is, in the end, the current configuration works well, is a good compromise, and easy/cheap to build.

Rich Cox

Reply to
News

Second that...the Cruiser was a pretty good attempt at something more modern though, IMO.

Reply to
Rufus