HOn3 or HOn30

I'm about to build my first micro layout and I'm trying to decide between HOn3 or HOn30. I think I'm aware of the pros and cons of each but I'd appreciate any advice or tips. My scratchbuilding skills are pretty much limited to building wooden craftsman type kits....structures and rolling stock. Budget is also a factor.

Thanks! CT

Reply to
Charles

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Charles) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Before you start, work your way through this site:

He has about 200 micro layout plans. Be sure to look at the Scrapbook and the Links. You may event want to go On30 or larger after you see what can be done.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

HOn30 (on N gauge track) will involve kitbashing your own motive power. There really isn't even much brass HOn30 available. Plus side: ALOT of good mechanisms available. Rolling stock would pretty much be HOn3 with different trucks.

HOn3 Locomotives will be easier to obtain. And Con-Cor just came out with that very cool Galloping Goose. MDC kits are OK with the NWSL regear kits. Grandt Line has some small motive power that isn't TOO hard to build. AND M.E. and Shinohara make good track.

I prefer the HOn3. But I actually work in On30 right now.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

HOn30 is a lot of fun. I find kit-bashing, or even scratch-building, locos using N-Gauge mechanisms much easier than I expected.

Rolling Stock is not really a problem, there are quite a few excellent HOn30 kits around now, from Chivers, Stevens Creek Models, etc.

Another thought for you to consider is Nn3 or HOn20. I built a Class A Climax in HOn20 for a little switchback line on my railroad - this is a scratchbuild, mainly styrene, on a Microtrains Z-Gauge FT. It's quite a neat little loco - I'm well pleased with it!

See

for some of my puny efforts.

Jeff Law Bigg & Orsum Railroad New Zealand

Reply to
Jeff Law