Cleaning engine wheels - n-scale

The wheels of a few of my engines seem like they need to be cleaned. What is the best way to do this? I remember helping my dad years ago and we used to hook up wires to the track and I would hold the wires to the wheels and he would clean with a pad and cleaner. Is there an easier way??

Thanks

Reply to
Jon C Rupert

Soak a paper towel in a bit of rubbing alcohol, and lay it on the track. Juice up that track and hold the engine on top of the towel so it is between the wheels and the rails- it should scrub off just fine.

Our club always brings about 6 bottles of rubbing alcohol to every show....

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill

Use a "Kaydee" wheel cleaner. It has clips the hook to the track. Then you hold the brass brushes agains't the spinning wheels. Very easy to use, and does a great job. They is a size for "N" scale to "G" scale

Bill

Reply to
LGBer0672

And what do you use for track cleaning?

Reply to
Steve Caple

---------------------- "Steve Caple" wrote

---------------------

Nothing if they need 6 bottles of alcohol just to clean wheels.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Jon=A0C=A0Rupert wrote: The wheels of a few of my engines seem like they need to be cleaned. What is the best way to do this? I remember helping my dad years ago and we used to hook up wires to the track and I would hold the wires to the wheels and he would clean with a pad and cleaner. Is there an easier way??

------------------------------------------------- Kadee "Speedi" Driver Cleaner #236.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Tim=A0Gill wrote: Our club always brings about 6 bottles of rubbing alcohol to every show....

-------------------------------------------------- I know the feeling. Old age is no fun when one has to bend over the layout.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Here is a thought. I am an electronics tech by trade. I had a 20+ year old N scale 0-6-0 that has sat about that long. I work with electronic contacts, plastics, and corrosion on a daily basis. The first thing I thought was "tuner cleaner". I had some "Plastic Safe" Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant I applied not only to the wheels, but the pickups and the brushes. Caveat's apply. This was a very old loky and I was willing to give it a shot. I did not blast the whole thing, but rather sprayed the cleaner into a container and then used a brush and a cotton ear swab to apply it to where it was needed. A side note, I rather suspect tuner cleaner would not be cost effective for track cleaning, at least spray form, as well as the uncontrolled spray would wreak havoc with your scenery, not to mention being expensive. However, on the bench, with a recalcitrant loky, that is a different matter. Again, just a thought. Use Carefully. Experiment on the dead loky's first. In "Theory" that stuff is supposed to be safe on plastics. Caveat Emptor. My results were that little 0-6-0 went from an arthritic chuf to something willing to challenge a "Lil' Hustler" to a race. And "Read and comply with the instructions." Hope this helps Paul

J> The wheels of a few of my engines seem like they need to be cleaned. What

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett