Engine cleaning

I haven't been able to fly for quite some time. My model's engines are dusty, sticky and the cranks are difficulet to turn. What's the best way to clean dirty engines?

Reply to
Mike

"Search This Group": antifreeze

Reply to
aeropal

I just pour a little rubbing alcohol down the carb. Loosens the gummed oil very quickly. Once you're done, lube it with some light machine oil and it'll be ready to go. Seems like much less hassle than cooking the thing in a pot overnight.

Reply to
C G

If they're frozen solid, I'd take off all non-metallic pieces, then place the whole engine in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Using gloves, you should then be able to turn the crank and carb throttle barrel. When the engine cools, take it completely apart and clean it, using fresh fuel and a toothbrush. Light appilcation of heat will remove any really stubborm deposits.

Dr1

Reply to
Dr1

I would take off the carb, backplate and glowplug then soak it overnight in some fresh fuel. This will usually dissolve most of the gum and leave your engine with fresh lube all over the inside.

The carb should be completely taken apart and cleaned. Just make sure to remember the basic settings of the needles so you don't have to fiddle as much to get it running right.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Thanks

That sounds like the best idea. I will try that.

Mike Paul Mc> I would take off the carb, backplate and glowplug then soak it

overnight in

fiddle as

Reply to
Mike

I would use a dremel with the wire wheel,but where eye glasses to protect your eyes ,you will find this cleans in all the small cracks very well without boiling ,and takeing a chance on o ring damage.

Reply to
Rhondas

That would radically change the appearance of the engine, which would destroy its resale value, if that is a factor.

Antifreeze works about the best for me.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo