UP Licensing on CBS Evening News on 12/18/03

Folks, Just received word from a friend that UP's licensing issue will supposedly make the CBS Evening News Thursday night, 6:30PM Eastern.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Just received word from a friend that UP's licensing issue will supposedly make the CBS Evening News Thursday night, 6:30PM Eastern.< Anyone know how to get a copy of the report (after broadcast of course)? I sure whatever it says will be changed 100 times by the time it hits this group. Also is the the publicity the UP does not want?

Reply to
Jon Miller

Well I watched it and IMHO it was about as unflattering to the UP as a national newscast could get. Terms such as "The New Grinch" and "The RR (robber) Barons" are not terms I'm sure UP likes to hear over a national newscast.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Hummm. Sort of a David and Goliath?

In the sweeps just ended, the Fox News prime time schedule - the entire evening - averaged 1.28 million viewers. A ten percent decline from same month last year. CBS Evening News - just 30 minutes - clocked right at 8.1 million viewers.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

It was short but not sweet. I thought it was pretty good at making their assertion that UP is trying to get the little train guys. Watch it and decide for yourself.

Reply to
Corelane

Hmmmm - I noticed the "Deadly Knockoffs" story at the top of the list. I wonder how long before UP's lawyers claim that unauthorized models with UP markings lead to support for terrorism.

Maybe they have a point. I know that _I'd_ never tell if somebody blew up the executive washroom at UP HQ.

Reply to
Steve Caple

With that incredibly STUPID comment, you can join Rathburn in the bit-bucket of infamy. That's hardly a laughing matter these days.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

bit-bucket of infamy. That's hardly a laughing matter these days.<

Besides _they_ monitor lists these days, haven't you read the patriot act????

Reply to
Jon Miller

Sarcasm and irony do not sit well, eh? I do agree that the climate of crying "terrorist" and justifying every incursion on American liberties with the need for heimatssicherheit (the predecessor of "Homeland" Security) and the omnipresent and eternal War Against Terror is hardly a laughing matter.

Some of us can remember joking about the Weathermen, who for all their overblown doctrinaire rhetoric seemed incapable of doing anything other than blowing up executive washrooms.

Some of us can remember the most violent voices in anti-war organizations, the ones who urged things like maintaining armed sentinels and cacheing guns, turning out to be "law enforcement" agents (the quotes because they were committing illegal acts themselves) from the police or FBI. I had direct personal experience of that courtesy of the San Diego PD "Red Squad".

So buck up, Joe, get a grip, and remember that most American piece of folk wisdom:

"F--- 'em if they can't take a joke."

Reply to
Steve Caple

Can you at least try to make sense?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Ah, Fox News. Now there's a great source for facts.

Let's see, a study showed that of the appallingly high number of Americans (over 60%, as I recall) who mistaking believe that Iraq terrorists were involved in 9/11 --- most watched Fox News.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Only leftist, eh?

There's a word for people like that: "One-way SOB"

Reply to
Steve Caple

None in my closet, Ratty, that's right wing stuff - ask your buddy Pat Buchanan. And I won't be raiding yours for sheets and pointy dunce cap hoods, your robes are safe, and so's that black suit you keep hung upside down.

Reply to
Steve Caple

My buddy? He was against the war in Iraq so doesn't that make him your buddy, or should we just share him, me in robes, you with the arm bands and bull horn?

Reply to
MrRathburne

What study? What proof do you have of this? Source? And what is 'your' way to get 'real' facts?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Anybody who actually believes anything they see on any of the network newscasts deserves whatever they get.

Don

Reply to
Trainman