Mantua 0-6-0 "goat" switcher question

David Nebenzahl skriver:

Yes.

And for the sound and light and.. and... and....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Dan:

The most important thing is to keep the track and wheels clean. I find that my Booster, even with 4 wheels, picks up very well in most cases, and the biggest pickup bugbear is a switch with an insulated frog. To solve this problem, you can pick up speed and coast over :) but the best solution is to power the frog, which is fairly easy to do with an Atlas switch having a cast-metal frog and not so easy with a plastic frog.

The trouble with storing energy is that you need more than a tiny bit, even in HO. I doubt those DCC caps store enough to run the motor for 1s -- I'd imagine they served more as backup power for the decoder. I don't know for sure; I use analog DC.

Ahem. Now for the necessary disclaimer. O DREAD GODS OF DCC, STRIKE NOT THE POOR INFIDEL WHO DOTH NOT KNOW YOUR OMNIPOTENT POWER. That should buy me time.

To power a motor with a reasonable 0.5A current draw for 1 s, you'd need to store 0.5 coulomb of charge. A 0.08 farad capacitor, fully charged from a 12 volt supply, could store that much, but as the capacitor discharged, the potential across its terminals would decrease from 12 volts. The effect would be similar to a flywheel, and the size would be comparable to a pretty big flywheel. An 0.08 F cap is not so small.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002