Minimum Radius

Hi. what is a reasonable minimum radius for MDC HO Climax and 0-6-0? thanks. John Hudson

Reply to
HICJHH

Both will operate on well laid 12" radius, but 15" is a more reasonable minimum. The 0-6-0T would be a problem on 12" - the long rear overhang puts the rear coupler over the outside rail limiting what the loco can stay coupled to. The MDC "Climax" uses the same mechanism as the 600 HP box cab diesel, with a center drive gear that does not displace laterally on curves. On smaller radii, the "kink" in the drive line through the U joints to the trucks gets large, adding to the noise and vibration of operation (but then these beasties aren't that great on straight track). Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

Hi:

For a complete discussion on curves and coupler effects on all types of equipment including minimum radius, double track clearances and easements, see first site below.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Budb

Author of:

MODELRAILROAD TECHNICAL INFORMATION

PROTOTYPE TECHNICAL INFO FOR MODELRAILROADERS

Moderator of:

MR TECHNICAL HELP GROUP

COUPLER HELP GROUP

budb

NMRA has a standard practice which I find useful. RP 11 Curavature and Rolling Stock says for a Old Time Pike, Small Branch Line and Feeder Lines with:

Steam locos to 11' ridgid wheelbase (your 0-6-0), Diesels to 40' with two

4-wheel trucks (like your climax), and

Old time passenger cars to 50' without diaphrams, and

Freight cars to 50'

In HO a 16 1/2 inch radius and # 5 turnout is acceptable.

I have a Heisler, 2-6-0 and 0-6-0s that I run on these specifications.

Reply to
RR Artie