Model Die Casting

Hi. I am into HO & HOn30, and very interested in the smaller locos , freight cars etc. I was looking at an old RMC article entitled "A most improbable Locomotive" or close to that. Basically what the article was talking about was taking the MDC HOn3 Loco # 1550(which is a static model) and making a motorized articulated out of it. I am trying to find a cheap, but fair quality, 0-4-0 to try to do a porter 0-4-0 in HO. It occured to me that I could use the MDC 1550 and kitbash something maybe remotely resembling a porter. Has anyone used the #1550 for a similar project; if so, can you send some particulars. Thanks, and Happy Holidays to all. John Hudson.

Reply to
HICJHH

The MDC "3 in 1" kits aren't really "kits" that you assemble into a model. They are a collection of MDC parts that you use to kitbash/scratchbuild the model. I made the unpowered 0-4-4-0 many years ago, and it was a lot of work as I was new to the hobby. They supply a frame from one of their HOn3 2-8-0's that you have to cut into two smaller frames for the 0-4-4-0. Now these frames are really small, so powering them could be quite a chore since room would have to be found to place the motor, gears, etc. But I do think I saw such a powered model somewhere in a magazine.

I suggest any alternative methods or models may be a better idea. In the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette an advertiser from Japan has offered similar loco kits in the past, they may still be available or you could check out eBay for Joe Works models.

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan