Question: Marklin Z-Scale

Hello. I have been looking at Marklin Z-Scale sets. There is one on eBay I am considering buying, but in doing some research on the set, I found (as seen in the link below) that it uses AC to power the train. I am hoping this is a misprint. Here is the link to where I found the info:

Is this info correct? Is it possible that this is an older (2004) set and they have changed since? Or are all Marklin Z-Scale sets AC? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
alleydude

Wow, that's a relief. Thanks for the help!

Ken

Reply to
alleydude

alleydude skriver:

No, no, no, no. Z scale is DC, Märklin is only AC (and 3 rail) in scale H0, the rest is DC like all other manufactures.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

alleydude skriver:

You're most welcome

Z-scale is way too small for me. H0 is more appropiate, here I can get the details of the trains and fix everything myself.

Latest puchase is a model of the first long distance steam engine in germany, called "Saxonia"

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

That is very nice! I love HO as well, but I have a fascination with miniatures, and the smaller the better. I have purchased a Z-Scale set off eBay (haven't recieved it yet) and am looking at another. I want to do a small table top layout just for fun. We also do O-Gauge as well, but right now N is our primary focus. Thanks again for the help.

Ken

alleydude

Have you seen "Z-Track" magazine?

Marklin Z Scale is dc, but is there a limit as to the voltage used? I recall seeing a MRC power pack adapted for use with Z scale that had a "stop" on the control knob.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Maerklin Z is DC 2 rail, but the voltage is limited to 8-9 volts. At that voltage they run like scalded cockroaches, so (upper range) scale speeds are achieved at lower voltages still.

Until 5-10 years ago the motor armatures were 3 pole. Circa 10 years ago they started to fit 5 pole armatures to their most expensive locos and these have gradually been fitted throughout their range. The improvements in running standards with the new armature are worth having!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I believe some Marklin HO info has leaked into that Zed page.

I've got both Marklin and Micro-Trains Line Zed setups and neither is AC, as I'm sure others will tell you as well.

Pete in Calgary, AB, CA

alleydude wrote:

Reply to
hoser

It's the MRC-1300 as modified by Micro-Trains Lines for use by Zedders.

well as
FYI, actual pics of a Micro-Trains Lines modified unit (mine) are found here in this directory: (1 Meg digicam pics)

For your own piece of mind, run a DC voltage check on the unit if you pick one up. Just to be sure. I did, and then marked more info on the sticker that MTLines stuck on the face of the unit. Whether it needed to be done or not, I feel better about the testing. Just to be sure.

More info, do not use a regular commonly found DC controller such as a MRC Tech 4 220 for example. These have what's called "pulse power" and are (according to MTLines) not good for the little Zed Locos. I just took their word on that one, to be sure.

info pic re- above statement here:

(on a side note, the Tech 4 220 I've got works just great with my N scale stuff. You can literally make an N scale Atlas GP-7 non-decoder "CRAWL" around a small 10 foot test line layout in 42 minutes if you try!)

Hope, some if any of this helps,

Pete in Calgary, AB, CA

Reply to
hoser

Thank you and everyone for all the help, it is greatly appreciated. I now have two Marklin sets on the way, and an expansion set. This is gonna be GREAT!

Reply to
alleydude