Re: Looking for price guide

Bertha wrote: I've got an old Lois Marx & Co. electric train set that I would like to sell, but I have no idea how much these things are worth.---- Could one of you fine, helpful folks advise me on where to find a price guide? Good karma will be yours!

-------------------------------------------------- Greenberg's Marx Trains Pocket Price Guide (Eighth Edition):

Good luck with your endeavor!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 500 helpful sites:

Bill

Kalmbach publishes the "Greenberg" series of guides which are widely used. The large book on Marx is currently not in print. The pocket version lists most Marx items with suggested prices, but does not provide enough info to identify all variations. This pocket guide is described at

I find that prices at train shows are relatively close to the current Greenberg guide prices, with the usual variations that some sellers offer real bargains to move items, while others are willing to wait for the buyer who'll pay top dollar. Pay particular attention to the guide comments on condition - this is a big swinger in values. Prices for items sold at retail outlets are usually higher, and the price a dealer will offer to buy an item are much less. An alternate source would be to search eBay for the same items in your set, but I find these can have very wide variation, so you need to see what several different sellers' items actually sell for get a good feel for values.

Recognize too that a set can be worth more than the sum of the individual item values if the set is unusual or very complete with all original boxes/packing and peripheral items (instructions, track, transformer, accessories, etc.). On the other hand, a set can be worth less than the sum of the item values to a collector who needs a particular item for his/her collection, and is buying the rest just to resell. Gary Q

Hello folks! > > I've got an old Lois Marx & Co. electric train set that I would like to > sell, but I have no idea how much these things are worth. I read the FAQ > for this newsgroup, and it mentioned that if you go to meets, you should > have a price guide handy to give you a baseline so as not to get ripped > off. > > That sounds like what I need--I don't necessarily want top dollar for this > (not that I'd turn it down), I just really have NO idea what to ask for > it. But the FAQ didn't specify where to get one of these, or perhaps I > just didn't see it. > > Could one of you fine, helpful folks advise me on where to find a price > guide? Good karma will be yours! > > -Bertha > -- > Wilner's Observation: > All conversations with a potato should be conducted in private.
Reply to
Gareth Quale

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:56:18 GMT, Gareth Quale muttered something like:

Just wanted to say thanks to Gareth, Corelane, and Bill for the info--I've written it down and hope to check it out at the library this week. I appreciate your help!

-Bertha

Reply to
Bertha