Re: Want to re-create a movie scene- DCC?

Well...if you recall that sequence in the film, there was a lot of momentary wheel slippage in that battle of giants and I'm not at all sure how you could replicate that. Just running a pair of nose-to-nose locomotives back and forth a short distance is not going to convey the titanic struggle depicted in the film.
I'd have to say that setting up an arrangement in HO that would believeably mimic the action seen in the film would be almost impossible, using DCC or any other powering means.
CNJ999
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JBortle) wrote in

The rails were heavily greased, engineers kept their hands off the sanders. The roundhouse foreman reported that they flattened a tire on the Pacific and had a hell of a time getting it back into the roundhouse.
My teenaged grandad is the second guy carrying a lantern in the washout scene. He's also (unseen) in the cab, ringing the bell as the Mikado backs out in the scene in the roundhouse bay.

I understand what you're saying, wish I could've seen MILW steam in person. I'm just looking for something to jazz up the display for selling tapes of the movie at the local Preservation Commission's office.
It was worth a shot anyhow.
Thanks, Dave
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JBortle) wrote in

I think you've hit on it.
Give me a couple of months (it's roofing season, free time is limited right now) and I'll post an MPG of the HO locos in action in alt.binaries.multimedia.rail.
After that I move on to reproducing the Dyno car in HO..
Dave
I've never seen the movie; how do I get the tape?
Brian
On 8/19/03 10:46 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@netnews.attbi.com, "Kurgan_9"

Dave
does work.
Dave

Good deal! We just dropped off 12 more tapes last Sunday, I think that Amorette had four orders to fill, so she should have some on hand. If not, she'll holler..
If you're familiar with MILW history, the cover might be interesting to you. I scanned a public time table that I paid too much for on eBay and added one of Bill Wilkerson's (MILW engineer and historian from Miles City) drawings of a Pacific to it. Probably the best photoshop work that I've ever done.
Just so that I don't feel like a spammer here- I purchase the blank tapes and card stock for the covers, record the movie and print the covers on my PC, and donate them to the Preservation Commission (they're IRS certified non- profit)
Dave
Go to the store and buy it.
Seriously, it's a popular enough film that's it's often avaailbale at stores that feature old movies. You can also go to any train show/swap meet, see who's selling tapes, someone will have it.
Don
-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/MRPics
wrote:

selling
Do you happen to remember the RR movie that starred Charles Bronson ? It was, IIRC , set in the rocky mountains in the late 1900's. Probably released in the 70's ? I thought it was good movie. I have never seen Danger Lights but if Blockbuster has it I will see it this weekend.
thanks
Ken Day
On 20 Aug 2003 23:58:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JBortle) wrote:

Ken Day wrote:

Breakheart Pass - late 1800s or more likely early 1900s.
E Litella wrote:

Story featuring a railroad in the Western USA written by an English (British?) author who had never seen or studied western USA or US railroads. Could have been a train in the hills of Scotland judging by the description of the train.
Dave Beimer wrote:

Could have been in Canada, for that matter; but I never read MacLean's book, just saw the movie, where the train _and_ terrain were definitely North American prototype.
Thanks a bunch. I did mean late 1800's. One of those senior moments again.
Ken Day On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:05:06 GMT, E Litella

Ken Day wrote:

Digilexia - fingers got confused.
Good idea, just make sure that there are no traction tires on either locomotive.
-- From the computer of Frank A. Rosenbaum

construction.
approach
full
with
and
securely
these two

of an

traction.
those of

realism. For

synchronous
brief
just
but
and
Heres an idea. Handlay the track on a base of copper clad circuit board with code 40,55 or 70 rail. Just solder on the outsides of the rail. So the wheel flanges are touching the board slightly. The wheels will spin easier that way.
Gap the board between the rails. Fake some short ties between them.
Divide the section with gaps into three blocks A B C. Design a circuit [or have someone do it for you] that powers A with C dead then switches to A+B with C live. Then turns off B and turns on C with A dead and then C+B and repeats. A block is right rail positive; C block is left rail positive. B block switches between whichever block it's attached to.
That will wire it up so the loco on A pushes forward with no resistance then then get reistance from the loco on C and then the loco on C gets no reistance.
You might have to repower the locos with coreless motors. I believe they're free spinning unless powered. [I'm not 100%]
Look at this article.
Free-rolling steam locomotive drive Model Railroader, November 1985 page 90 ( "DAITO, TAKASHI", REGEAR, STEAM, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, MR )
Eric
JBortle wrote:
Well...if you recall that sequence in the film, there was a lot of momentary wheel slippage in that battle of giants and I'm not at all sure how you could replicate that. Just running a pair of nose-to-nose locomotives back and forth a short distance is not going to convey the titanic struggle depicted in the film.
I'd have to say that setting up an arrangement in HO that would believeably mimic the action seen in the film would be almost impossible, using DCC or any other powering means.
Maybe this is too simple, but , how about first greasing the rails. I assume that you will only be seeing one side of the locomotives , so you can run a wire from Power Pack A directly to engine A and a wire from Power Pack B to engine B. Run NO power to the rails. Maybe by experimenting with the amount of and type of "grease" you can get the amount of slippage needed and you have complete control over each engine to do the Tug-O-War.

What about attaching small "trolleys" or sliders of some kind to the bottom of each engine, mounted so they position the actual loco wheels slightly above the rail, allowing the wheels to spin in place. Attach strings or rods to the trolleys and use them to actually push the engines back and forth, while the visible loco wheels spin madly...
Arthur Ross