Salvaging Cars.

I have come into possession of a number of cars (and a few locos) whose bodies are coming loose from the chassis at the slightest test.

these are HO and N Scale

A hobbyist suggested that i use "Goo" (but very little) to keep them attached, yet still seperable, if I want to fool with weights, lights, or paint in the furure.

Is "Goo" a brand, or a type?

(I have "Shoe GOO", but I doubt that that is what he was talking about.)

this was one of those conversations at the counter, and there was a lot going on, so I didn't press him for specifics.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Buck

Reply to
Buck

Goo would probably mean Walthers Goo, a sort of contact cement (comes in a tube, you apply to one piece, press the other together (to coat with Goo) separate the two for a little while, and then firmly press together one more time (and secure with bands or clamps or whatever). Not sure if that's the best idea - I'd prefer mechanical means myself, like plastic strip (or thin aluminium angles inside the cars sides, drilled and tapped for 2-56 screws throught the floor). The strips can be applied using your favorite tough adhesive, including Goo (which was used a lot during the 1950s/1960s for attaching metalplastic, wood to wood, metal wood etc, before the invention of CA.

Reply to
Sir Ray

Some CA facts... Cyanoacrylate adhesives were first developed in 1959, and were used medically as early as 1966 in Vietnam as a stop gap measure to stop bleeding of wounded soldiers.

Doug

Reply to
stealthboogie

Early 40's. First marketed in the late 50's.

A coagulant? More like a glue for sealing the skin flaps after you shovel the organs back into the wound.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse