Swapping N-Scale Life-like engine body to another brand?

I've had a set of the KCS Southern Belle in storage for a few years and have decided to try to set up my first layout. Trying to get up to speed it looks like dcc is the way to go, so my engine needs to be upgraded. Taking off the body I see no room to do anything, aside from probably disassembling the entire unit and I'm not up for that. Is it possible to buy an Atlas etc. engine and have the KCS 7191 E8 shell drop on/fit without major modifications?

Thanks!

Reply to
unkadunk

In addition to Life-Like, the only recent EMD E locomotives I can recall are Kato, Con-Cor, and Arnold Rivarossi. You might want to look into Aztec Trains services.

Aztec Trains (John Claudino) offers frames for numerous manufacturers locomotives. He mills the frame to provide space for a dcc decoder.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Another alternative would be to purchase Life-Like's newer split frame E8 units. Perhaps these have space for a decoder. I don't have any of the split frame E8s so I don't know. See 'em here:

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

While that is doable, it won't be an easy drop-in conversion.

But why not make some room for a small DCC decoder in your loco? E8 is a large loco with plenty of room for a decoder. IIRC, those locos had a plastic frame with 2 large lead weights inside. There might just be enough room over the motor for a decoder. If not, just take one of the led slugs out and cut top of it off with a hacksaw. That will leave you with plenty of room for a decoder. And the loco will still be plenty heavy to pull the trains.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll try to figure out what decoder might fit if I cut one of the weights. Boy those wires are awfully tiny. Maybe I should swap the bulb for an led. This is going to take a while.

Thanks again.

Reply to
unkadunk

Well... N scale locs are famous for tiny mechanisms and electrical circuits. :-) Not quite as miniscule as Z scale though...

In your case a

will fit in that loco without any issues. You can keep the bulb as-is. Or replace it with an LED (with added resistor). If you don't feel up for the conversion yourself, you might be able to find someone who can do this for you through a local hobby shop. And if not, you might find a decoder convesion service on the Web. For a fee of course.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

On Dec 31, 12:05 am, "Peter W." replied:

*** If you don't feel up for the

Papas Trains (Larry Eyman) offers dcc installation service:

I've not used his services, so I cannot comment on his work.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Ordering now, and sharpening my soldering iron point. :)

If I kludge it up I'll just order a KCS gray from Atlas and pull it with that.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Reply to
unkadunk

Have fun and let us know how you make out!

PEteski

Reply to
Peter W.