track for Lionel 752/753/754 M-10000?

What's the smallest curves I can run my M-10000 City Of Salina set on? How about the smallest switch? I'm think I've heard 072 but would like to go smaller on the switches and hopefully save a little money since I want to have at least a double crossover (main 1 to main 2 to main

1) and a small classification yard.

Thanks,

Don

Reply to
PennCent

I put mine on the floor and did some measurements. If I bend it to the limits - one car side touching the next at each vestibule - it looks like

24-25" radius is about the physical limit. It also looks like the power truck will not pivot quite a sharply as the other trucks, so it appears to have a limit of about 26-27" radius. But since track is rarely perfectly laid, there needs to be some margin for wiggles and wobbles, and you don't want 70 year old train parts rubbing against themselves and wearing off a TCA condition grade of paint. My estimate is that you might get by with 28-30" radius track. You could help insure success on these tight radii by including a transition curve. It does not have to be an ideal spiral - even putting an O-72 section at each end of a curve of O-56 track sections would help. My 752/753/754 runs better with some "Lionel" speed on it. It is not as good at slower speeds. Be aware that going to tighter (than O-72) curves will limit your operating speeds and may impact dependability of operation. The best bet is to buy some track and try it. Explain what you're doing and see if your dealer will allow a return and refund if it doesn't work. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

set on?

would like

since

main

Atlas-O O-63 with an O-72 lead-in will work. Even better would be O-72 with an O-81 lead in. They you can operate at the Warp 6.5 speed they like and stay on the track.

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len