Warren Truss Railroad Bridge (pictures)

Here are some pictures of the Warren Truss Bridge I built for my N scale diaroma. The bridge is a fairly simple construction, using strips of bass wood and white glue.

The images are fairly large, as I haven't reduced them in size. With my computer, the bridge is actually larger on screen than it is on the diaroma. (If the URL wraps, just copy and paste everything between the "- " and " -" characters.)

760k -
- 543k -
- 432k -
-

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Better!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Pd:

Nice bridge. Is it representing steel construction? If it is, the only thing I'd add would be some vertical members. The Warren truss doesn't need them structurally speaking, but usually they exist, often bisecting the alternate "V" panels, to support the deck. Very nice work on the open deck, by the way.

The Warren truss is kind of unusual for a wood bridge - it does work in wood, as we can see by looking at roofs, but a Howe truss would be more typical on a wooden railroad bridge. Still, with the added vertical members (glued to the outside and inside of the frame) this would look even better than it does.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a solid-state Ampack

Reply to
pawlowsk002

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote in news:1194101545.862189.263130 @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Steel construction would be a good thing to try to emulate here. My 5 minutes of research didn't show any tendencies towards wood for bridges in recent times (not for this application, anyway.)

I forgot the vertical members, and had the bridge installed and laid track before I realized it. As you said, the Warren Truss doesn't necessarily need them.

At the time I started building, the Warren truss was the only one that I came up with. The Howe truss would be just as difficult to build, and may even be faster to lay out with a triangle.

Thanks for the feedback.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm always in favor of handlaid track, but what's the rail size there? It looks gigantic in close-ups.

And if you're going to put in the labor of laying the rail, you really should paint it. It's positively _gleaming_.

Reply to
jpurbric

On 11/2/2007 1:22 AM Big Rich Soprano spake thus:

Yes; obviously, Forte Agent 2.0/32.652 does a much better job than Xnews/5.04.25 of not mangling URLs. (I thought that only Micro$oft Outhouse Express did that!)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 11/6/2007 6:45 AM snipped-for-privacy@nyx.net spake thus:

Have to say I agree. The rest of the scene is so nicely done; too bad those details detract from it. I take it that shorter rail is available in N scale, no?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4730b0ce$0$22896 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

I know the rail's too large. This was my first attempt at hand laying track, so I used what I had.

It's code 80 rail from model power flex track. The rail seperated from the ties on its own, so I had those extra pieces left over.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper