What type of foam is ok to use?

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Their mistakes are certainly the most obvious ones...
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I blame it on the spell-check mentality. Newsflash: It doesn't replace proofreading.
And I've heard that looser-boys like lose women.
Dew knot trussed yore spill chequer too fined awl thee missed aches.

Michael Brown spake thus:

You must have read that story, "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut".

No, I did not write that. Attribution got screwed up somewhere up above.
--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
On 19 Jan 2006 08:00:21 -0800, Heather47960 wrote:

You don't want polystyrene beadboard - too crumbly; look for extruded polystyrene. The "dense foam" might be that (EPS), or it might be polyurethane. I'm nost sure if the rigid PU would emit any worse fumes under hot wire cutting than the EPS, but I wouldn't do that to either without really good ventilation and a mask that;s good against organic vapors.
http://www.favonius.com/soaring/foams/foams.htm
--
Steve

Heather,
Here's another reason you DON'T want to use the white 'beadboard':
http://www.scaletree.com/foamsafety.html
"Paul - The CB&Q Guy" Modeling 1960's In HO.
Paul:
Great link there. Good to know somebody actually tested the supposed hazards of extruded foam. Not too surprising the bead board burned so quick - remember the Life Like foam cooler warehouse fire?
Cutting styrene foam with a hot wire releases styrene fumes.
MSDS for styrene: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s6986.htm
Doesn't look too hazardous to me. The more serious effects listed are for extreme and repeated (occupational) exposure without proper precautions. For comparison, check the MSDS for ethanol (grain alcohol, commonly sold in 50% solution in clear glass bottles with Russian words on them.)
Open some windows; get fresh air if you get a headache, avoid working in a surfboard factory when pregnant or nursing, and don't worry too much!
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
Thanks Heather for the Link it was very informative. You may have saved my house :)
Heather:
Let me add that you should be sure the available foam IS polystyrene foam. 'Styrofoam', 'Certi Foam', and 'Foamula R' are some brands. Polyurethane foam's vapors are more harmful, and may include isocyanates, which you can apparently become sensitized to at rather low exposure levels.
MSDS for polyurethane foam: http://www.foamex.com/technical/MSDSFlexiblePolyurethaneFoamRevised.pdf
California state information for isocyanates (surprisingly thorough): http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/iso.htm
Note that, unfortunately, the important part is missing, which is the expected AMOUNT of isocyanates in the vapors from foam-cutting...oh well.
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
The CB&Q Guy spake thus:

I nominate that page for the Useful Content Award of the week.
What a concept: actually testing materials under actual conditions, and posting the empirical results. And concisely and entertainingly, to boot.
--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Just remember, Styrofoam is a trademark of Dow Chemical and it's blue (
Amaco's is pink ) and is an extruded polystyrene. Pre Expanded polystyrene is also known as beadboard because as you break it, it breaks into foam beads that float around. The drink cups are NOT Styrofoam, nor are the ice chests or coolers. Those are pre-expanded polystyrene.
I*'ve seen some people say that the true styrofoam is not rigid enough in 2" thicknesses. They might want to try Styrofoam HL-40 / HL-60 or HL
120 ( if I remember the numbers right) Normal Blue Styrofoam SM ( smooth material) or SE ( square edge ) has a nominal density wehere the
HL series are designed for insulation cold storage wearhouse floors and
are a much greater density.
Find a cold storange warehouse under construction and talk to the contractor. They will be happy to give you a pick up load of scraps for
free. It's costs them to send it to the dump because of EPA. Buy the foreman a case of beer and he'll send one of the guys to loas the truck
for you.