Barr & Stroud

The B&S was delivered from Edinburgh this morning,and am I chuffed or what!! On inspection the only thing missing is an exhaust pipe and silencer(any suggestions?)

The Magneto I think has been replaced at sometime with a non original Blic. The points cover is perilously close to the flywheel rim. Carb.is not marked poss.an in house manufacture.

I have rattled off a few pictures and they are on link below. Any comments ,suggestions etc.would be most welcome as I am flying in the dark on this one. Mike.H.

Mike.H

Well ain't that sweet! How big is it, how heavy? ID plate on the engine doesn't give much away, what about the genny? Is there a governor or only a hand throttle?

One thing that strikes is that it seems to be innocent of any means of cooling. The one in SE A-Z looks the same so probably not a case of something missing. Does it even have a token air stirrer in the back of the flywheel like my Marconi Douglas (similarly close to mag)?

(Internal fire public gallery in case URL does not make it intact).

Of course morse code (here he goes again!) has a pretty low duty cycle, but even so one would have thought that some cooling provision might be in order.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Perhaps I should have waited for all the pics to upload before asking so many questions!

No mention of KVA on genny, so that's that objection to proposed date out of the way. Boy, that CB cover really is close to flywheel, One in A-Z does appear to have a smaller mag. Momentarily confused to see commutator on alternator, but I guess this is exiter in same unit?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

.====================================================== Length overall 21inches width 12 inches height 14 inches weight 112 lbs (Liftable but awkward should fit in the back of my Focus No cooling fan (Some heavy duty finning ) No governor No 51 on starting handle ??? Ref genny(alternator) see new pics on Webshots the Vendor gave me the drawing from 1937 and it shows a different mag.with the ht lead at the opp.end to drive gear.

I'm off to RRHT Thurs to view and photograph the B&S they have.Pics will be posted (I will of course ask permission ). Mike.H

Reply to
Mike.H