Barr & Stroud

Could explain the drain tap on the exhaust stub! The sleeve valve engined Daimler cars were always noted oil burners, although they of course used the Knight double sleeve valve, so perhaps it is inherent in the design.

Reply to
Nick H

I have at last got around to doing the little jobs req.d to get the engine to a runningcondition. The fuel tank and carb had the remains of R.O.P.( the older readers will know those initials) that had turned to an evil smelling gunge.Exhaust manufactured etc etc. At first it was reluctant to start due to excess oil in bore.However a plug clean and away it went,but and a big but the exhaust at idle is very smoky and there is rather a large amount of unburnt oil in ex pot.At the top end the smoke is not excessive but throttling back to idle produces an embarrassing amount of pale blue cloud. My next job is to investigate the cause.I would like to think it is just a case of overfill or maybe wrong grade or combination of both.I am still trying to obtain info on the internals as to the method of sealing on the sleeve. A few minor faults came to light ,a drip from fuel tap,slight leak from oil press. indicator and a weep from another of the exterior oil pipes. Pics of run on link below click on "Running Barr " file Mike.H.

Mike.H

clean and away it went,but and a big but the

oil in ex pot.At the top end the smoke is

pale blue cloud.

What oil are you using Mike? I bet if you loaded the engine up the smoke would virtually disappear.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

A tad smoky, but what a super little engine, Mike. Thanks for posting the pics. Experimental loading would be interesting.

plug clean and away it went,but and a big but the

unburnt oil in ex pot.At the top end the smoke is

amount of pale blue cloud.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

------------------

----------------------- Ran out of sae 30 and had to use 15/30 multigrade. As I mentioned I am hoping it is a case of overfill,wrong grade or combination of both.

Also due to the lack of forced air cooling I have limited run time to 10 mins until I gain more Knowledge of the unit.

Btw I used a trade ali wheel cleaner to clean out tank (ali shine by Smart chemicals) Poured a pint or two in tank sloshed it around left it overnight,drained out the brown mess jet washed , let it stand on radiator to dry,result a pristine interior. Nil Desperandum illegitimo carborundrum Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

a runningcondition.

those initials) that had turned to an evil

clean and away it went,but and a big but the

oil in ex pot.At the top end the smoke is

pale blue cloud.

case of overfill or maybe wrong grade or

the method of sealing on the sleeve.

press. indicator and a weep from another of

Good looking unit. Possibly the junk ring in the cylinder head (seals the top of the sleeve) is the cause of the excess smoke, could be stuck etc..

Tom

Reply to
Tom