Boiling pistons

Getting home fairly early from the Maidenhead rally, I decided to try the recent suggestion of boiling pistons to free stuck rings and put a couple of Evinrude pistons on to simmer. On one the rings were in that 'dangerous' condition - showing some signs of movement but just waiting to break if rushed - and the boiling worked a treat on these. But the other where the rings were solid in their grooves, seemed in pretty much the same condition after treatment - it's now gone into a jar of diesel.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I have had some luck with oil instead of water, you need to get it really hot and then let the piston cool down while still immersed, the oil is drawn into the grooves as it all cools off.

Detergent oil is possibly better than straight mineral oil.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Now one out, one on the move and one still stuck fast!

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

In another thread > "nickh" wrote:-

I couldn't resist a quick tweak but contented myself with moving the little bit of shim behind the ring round another 1/4" before consigning it once more to the murky depths of the diesel bath. Perhaps I am being a little more careful than usual but I don't fancy having to source replacements as, rather than being pegged to avoid the ports, the rings are free to rotate and the gaps are stepped both axially and radially! I have three pistons with some rings already missing or damaged and need to 'harvest' sufficient for two.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

Another boiling session this weekend and all now off intact - phew!

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H