Condensation

A perennial problem with heavy lumps of iron in the widely varying air temperatures at this time of year. Engines themselves aren't too bad, not many horizontal suraces where moisture can lie and in my case mostly covered with years of oily grime anyway! But what of machine tools? My lathe bed etc are always kept coated with a film of light oil, but last night I went out into the workshop to find that this had turned 'milky' indicating the presence of water. I wiped off and reapplied but I know it will be back. Any magic solutions out there?

NHH

Reply to
NHH

ACF50 - good stuff, spray on and relax.

Reply to
crn

Thanks for that. What is the nature of the beast - the ones that dry to a heavy waxy or sticky coating are no good as you have to strip them off each time before you can use the machine (which I do most weekends).

NHH

Reply to
NHH

It sprays on and looks like a coat of WD40 so it should not be a problem, you might like to give a fresh coat to parts that get very hot after use.

Reply to
crn

Sounds good, I shall have to give it a go - wonder if there will be any floggers of such things at Enstone tomorrow?

BTW. I've yet to run a lathe so hard that the bed gets hot!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Nick,

I keep m>> NHH wrote:

Reply to
campingstoveman

My small workshop is now draught proof and insulated, so the dehumidifier on autopilot doesn't need to run that often, doesn't cost much to run and can now keep humidity under control. It's mounted on a high shelf with a plumbed drain, so it's not taking any space and doesn't need fiddling with.

OTOH, my green roof appears to have sprung a leak 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

New engine shed - wooden 'log cabin' style, double glazed, insulated roof and floor - seems good so far. Workshop OTOH is corrugated 'non asbestos cement' - no insulation but very well ventilated!

NHH

Reply to
NHH