Shell Ensis oil ('non-drying' rust prevention)

In George Thomas's book 'The Model Engineer's Workshop Manual' he i

very clear that Ensis oil 152 or 158 (SAE20) from Shell is a wonderfu corrosion protection product:

'All of these products are described by the manufacturers a "non-drying" oils - a property which I find most valuable because smal tools and parts of models can be wiped over with the thinnest film o oil which, even after the passage of many years, will not oxidise an leave the bright parts coated with a depressing looking film of brow varnish which is what invariably happens when ordinary oil is used fo the purpose... No workshop should be without it.'

I phoned Shell, who were helpful, but said that the product codes wer out of date - GHT's wonder oil is now probably DW1255 - and that could only buy it in a minimum of 20 litre quantities.

So, simple question, is there a modern day equivalent (WD40 perhaps? which can be bought in sensible volumes?

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

WD40 is too light to stay around very long, Ensis leaves a heavy film which is really a coating, that stays for years.

If you need that kind of protection then you need Ensis or its modern equivalent.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

wonderful

perhaps?)

modern

Shell Ensis is still available and comes in several grades. I recently bought 20 litres of 'S' grade to coat everything prior to my aborted house move. These are the people I got it from:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've used Ensis 158 for storing ploughs when not in use (you'd be surprised how much difference it makes to the lifespan of the wearing metal) but mine does leave a strange dark brown coating like dusty varnish. IF it can be bought in reasonable quantities it might be worth trying Castrol Rustilo. I've used it on some of my tools with success. It's funny stuff because it does almost dry over time, but form a pretty tough non-rusting layer. I've used it on things I don't use much, like the 4 jaw and faceplate for my big Monarch lathe. When I do need them, a careful wipe down with parafin removes the Rustilo - which I replace as soon as I finish... Other than that I don't really know what else is available other than maybe Waxoyl? HTH, Scruff. PS I should mention that both the Ensis & the Rustilo I have in stock came from farm sales, so I'm not sure if they still exist as products.

Myford Matt wrote:

Reply to
scruffybugger

No personal or commercial connection, but the gaffer / MD is a chemist and very knowledgable

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks for all your help. I should have made it clear that I know Ensi

is still available, in about half a dozen varieties, of which DW1255 i one. The problem is not being able to buy a litre or two.

Rustolite was recommended in an earlier, similar posting, but agai only in 20 litre cans. I'm going to try vapor-tek and these chaps:

who I think also came from an earlier posting and will report back:

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

I have found motorcycle chain lube aerosol OK for this purpose. The solvent evaporates and leaves a sticky goo behind which can be easily removed with paraffin etc. I bought a couple of cans from Poundland which do the job, although I haven't actually risked it on my bike chain.

Reply to
Ken Graves

I've had good success with a 30% solution of lanolin in white spirit. It paints on easily with a paintbrush. The white spirit evaporates and leaves a tough greasy film of lanolin.

Some tool suppliers sell lanolin in squeeze tubes at an inflated price but it's much cheaper to buy a tub full from a local chemist.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Lanolin always used to be extracted from the sewers of Bradford, where it accumulated washed out of the wool woven into cloth in that fair City

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

More info than Jim wanted, I bet.....

Reply to
Newshound

Yes but that was crap lanolin.

You can also get a DIY lanolin kit that still has the sheep in it. It'll mow your lawn too.

RS

-- rss

this thread:

rsss

For lubing and protecting push-bike chains I use ordinary cheap microcrystalline paraffin candle wax from an uncoloured white candle, dissolved in paraffin or better 100+ non-smelly solvent. Lamp oil works as a solvent too, but is slower to evaporate. I add one part vaseline to four parts wax.

I clean the chain with washing-up liquid, dry, then clean in paraffin, dry, leave in the wax mix for an hour to soak, then hang up to dry. About half a teaspoon of wax shavings in enough solvent to cover the chain. Sometimes I add a drop or two of synthetic turbine oil or the like.

I expect isn't as protective as proper chain lube but it doesn't stain your trousers if they touch the chain or mess your hands if the chain comes off and you have to handle it, and it seems to last at least a couple of years between coatings.

My present chain is about seven years old now and still going strong, having only been washed, cleaned in paraffin then wax lubed/protected two or three times in that time - no rust, although it is a bit worn now as I cycle most days.

I have not tried this on anything else though. Might be an idea to add some vpi-type? rust inhibitor?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother