'Drying out' oil on cutting blade?

Hi,

I have a strange problem. I was oiling and generally cleaning my pencil sharpener, and made the rather stupid mistake of also putting a drop of oil on the sharpening blade itself.. Now either I had a dull blade to begin with, or the act of oiling it has made it rather dull.. Is there a way to "dry out" oil, or otherwise remove it? Or should I just get a new penvil sharpener (yes - I should just get a new one..)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Witte

Unless the cutting head is made of plastic, I doubt very much oil had anything to do with how sharp it is, but it's possible that the oil has trapped some of the fine particles of wood, loading the cutting head. That could make it appear to not be sharpening well. You can use mineral spirits to remove the oil, or even blow out the head with an air hose. The wood shavings act as an oil sponge and will absorb anything you put where it doesn't belong, so once you've removed the oil soaked shavings, the cutting head should be back to its old self, no worse the wear from the oiling. . If it's still not cutting well, it's probably dull and a new one is in order.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos