bandsaw blade welder

Does anyone own or use the Harbor Freight 280 amp bandsaw blade welder
item # 3663-1vga? They are on sale for $129.00 which seems like a good
price but I have not purchased any equipment from this company. This
is a mail order item only, so I have not been able to judge the
quality. If anyone has experience with this machine, I would be
interested in your comments..................thanks.........
Reply to
lcrumley
I went through 2 of them so far and was not really happy with the results. Initially I had an Advanced Car Mover "Badger" bandsaw blade welder, that had to be hooked up to a 12VDC source (automotive battery) and it worked like a champ with any type of blade I welded up. But on occassion it was a pain to go and get a battery and hook it up, so I treid the HF welder...SUCKS, returned it and got another, Still sucked....got a refund....Back to usuing my Badger blade welder again and just reserved tothe fact I need a 12VDC power source, but it does a super job, and is pretty fast and easy to setup and use......
Reply to
Roy
Roy, Do you think a Badger can get enough current from a battery charger set in the start mode?...Larry
Reply to
flyfisher
What was the reason for the "sucked" rating?
Reply to
John Kunkel
Roy...........Please give a more detailed report on the Harbor Freight bandsaw blade welder. What was the machine not doing that made it unacceptable?
Reply to
flyfisher
The first one smoked after just 3 welds...and the welds were not done back to back so cycle time was certainly not a factor. The blades being welded were 1/2" width carbon steel blades
The 2nd welder just had problems making a fully closed weld on the blade ends no matter how they were trimmed and dressed. It always left a hole, or porosity in the welds. It would not do a bi metal balde to save its life. I have a bandsaw blade cutter which was part of OEM on an old DoAll bandsaw blade welder. Cuts made with this blade cutter would look like swiss cheese after being welded with thre HF welder, however using that same blade cutter on the Badger welder produced beautiful welds time after time, and it made no distinction in welding bi metal or cheap carbon blade stock. It (HF) proved to be too much messing around to get a decent weld or a weld that would hold..which has not been a problem with the Badger unit at all...
As to how a battery charger on START would handle it, I have an old Marquette HD charger......I used to be able to start an old 1952 International 6 cylinder dup truck with it just placing it on start postion, and that old International with a big 6 cylinder pulled some amps..however I have not been able to get a decent weld by using that charger on the welder.....It may be insufficient amperage or what or it may be just worn out after all those years of use, I don;t know. I just hook up the welder to my tractor or truck or whatever vehicle with a 12 volt battery is handy and do the welds anymore.
Reply to
~Roy
I have a small Dayton blade welder and I've never had luck doing bimetal blades with it either, but it welds carbon blades fine. I go through the carbon blades faster but then the teeth don't strip off either. I don't tend to push bandsaws very hard anyway.
GWE
~Roy wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Thanks guys................Larry
Reply to
flyfisher
I haven't had any experience using this welder, but did silver-braze a few blades with great success. Google for more on silver brazing band saw blades.
Reply to
rashid111