bandsaw blade welder

Does anyone own or use the Harbor Freight 280 amp bandsaw blade welder item # 3663-1vga? They are on sale for $129.00 which seems like a good price but I have not purchased any equipment from this company. This is a mail order item only, so I have not been able to judge the quality. If anyone has experience with this machine, I would be interested in your comments..................thanks.........

Reply to
lcrumley

Roy, Do you think a Badger can get enough current from a battery charger set in the start mode?...Larry

Reply to
flyfisher

What was the reason for the "sucked" rating?

Reply to
John Kunkel

Roy...........Please give a more detailed report on the Harbor Freight bandsaw blade welder. What was the machine not doing that made it unacceptable?

Reply to
flyfisher

The first one smoked after just 3 welds...and the welds were not done back to back so cycle time was certainly not a factor. The blades being welded were 1/2" width carbon steel blades

The 2nd welder just had problems making a fully closed weld on the blade ends no matter how they were trimmed and dressed. It always left a hole, or porosity in the welds. It would not do a bi metal balde to save its life. I have a bandsaw blade cutter which was part of OEM on an old DoAll bandsaw blade welder. Cuts made with this blade cutter would look like swiss cheese after being welded with thre HF welder, however using that same blade cutter on the Badger welder produced beautiful welds time after time, and it made no distinction in welding bi metal or cheap carbon blade stock. It (HF) proved to be too much messing around to get a decent weld or a weld that would hold..which has not been a problem with the Badger unit at all...

As to how a battery charger >===Roy...........Please give a more detailed report on the Harbor Freight

Reply to
~Roy

I have a small Dayton blade welder and I've never had luck doing bimetal blades with it either, but it welds carbon blades fine. I go through the carbon blades faster but then the teeth don't strip off either. I don't tend to push bandsaws very hard anyway.

GWE

~Roy wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks guys................Larry

Reply to
flyfisher

I haven't had any experience using this welder, but did silver-braze a few blades with great success. Google for more on silver brazing band saw blades.

Reply to
rashid111