vibration damping mount

I'm replacing the spindle motor in the Hardinge CHNC I'm refitting...

This lathe is mostly made of steel plate. Hardinge had a real nice vibration isolation mount for the original spindle motor. I can't re-use it as the new motor is larger. The original was a shoulder bushing made of a ceramic or very hard plastic. Exactly what it is, I don't know. The bolt mount went through this and then there was another thick washer of this material before putting on the nut. Also, a very soft metal (lead??) sheet went between the motor and the hold down plate.

This idea won't work, as this motor has four tapped bolt holes on the face mount of the motor. (motor is mounted on shaft end, not on side like conventional mount)I'd like to install some sort of vibration damping if possible. Any suggestions? Any suggestions for some sort of soft metal sheet to put between the motor and the mount?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:TlPif.3199$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

About the only thing I can think of would be to bore the bolt holes of the plate and install some neoprene shoulder bushings.

Reply to
Anthony

Karl..most of the Hardinges used a rubber bushing, that often hardened into a plastic like substance. Same with the washer under the elevator bolt.

Did you retain the motor mount plate and bolt your C face adapter mount to the motor plate?

There is not going to be any good way to seperate the motor vibrations in its own mount..so any dampening needs to be done between the motor mount and the lathe itself. Got a picture of your setup?

What control are you using?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yes, its a 1" thick piece of steel. Set in slides for belt tensioning. My 7

1/2 Hp. motor had a 8.5 inch ring on the face. So I bored a 8.5 inch ring 0.100" deep to locate the motor on this plate. So far, I've drilled 17/32 holes in the plate for the four 1/2" stud bolts that screw into the motor. I got to thinking that mounting this motor solid to this plate will transmit vibration, hence the question.

Its all apart, don't know how I'd photo anything of use as all the parts fit tight inside and under the lathe. Man, this thing was a total b&*( to take apart. I know I'll need help on re-assembly.

I'm a Camsoft guy all the way. This will make my third Camsoft machine.

Would this be a waste of time?

Bore my mount holes out to 1" with 1.5" shoulder 0.25" deep on the side opposite the motor. Insert a neoprene (Thanks Anthony) shoulder bushing bushing to fit and maybe 0.050" longer than the thickness of the plate. Then bolt the motor on through the bushings.

I know this would help if the motor weren't so heavy and all the weight hanging to one side. I'm afraid the mount will just collapse to where the mount ring contacts the steel plate.

I'd REALLY be interested to know how Omniturn mounts motors on their Hardinge retrofits. I've seen they toss the servo and replace it with a 3 phase motor. Of course, they don't shop at the scrap yard for a replacement motor

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds workable.

Do that..but use the bushings on the mount/lathe interface, not the C face interface.

See above

When I retro a Hardinge..I use the proper motor..which is not a C face , and either make or purchase the adapter plates to put the motor back on the elevator plate, properly lining up the pulleys. Its quite simple.

I can do the average Hardinge, with full spindle interface and replacement motor, in about 16 or less hours, including stripping all the crap off the machine. We of course use our own slides, so the turret, carraige etc etc comes off.

Gunner

Gunner Asch