Vibration isolation/damping for off-road driving camera mount

I would like to mount a 10-lb camera on an off-road vehicle, driving on unpaved roads. The camera does not have built-in image stabilization. What are the best commercial off-the-shelf components to help steady the camera on the fixed mount, from both very low frequency, and high frequency vibrations?

Thanks ~ DD

Reply to
DD

Here's what you need. a 400 pound puck of lead Three long travel,(10 inch +) lightly damped spring/damper assemblies.

Three 14 inch pylons - steel or wood Short tripod camera mount

Bungee rubber to secure tripod mount to each pylon, at upper and lower position.

Here's what to do: reinforce roof to mount three spring/dampers at 45 degrees to lead puck at triangular corner positions.

Secure camera tripod mount to pylons with bungee, so that the camera when mounted on the tripod, does not sag more than 4 inches, leaving an eight inch headroom between tripod and lead puck. Run a long cable release from camera to cockpit.

Good Luck.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I will be more specific. I would like to reduce frequencies between 5 hz -

500 hz as much as possible for the 10 lb camera (for example 50-70% reduction is fine). I suspect there is a common design that exists for this purpose.

I am also curious about

- Sorbothane

- Active isolation systems

Thanks ~ DD

Reply to
DD

If we approximate it as a single degree of freedm system then to get any attenuation at 5 Hz the suspension frequency will have to be less than 3 Hz.

To get say 6 dB (50%) attenuation, using just 25% damping, you'll need to be down at around 2 Hz.

For that the springs will have to have a rate of 700 N/m, so it will have a static deflection of 70mm. You are unlikely to see more than 2g on the body of the car, so allow another 70 mm of travel from the static position.

If you check out conventional spring designs you'll see this is a very weak spring.

Bungee and elastic cord are the way to do this, but I must admit I can't think of a neat, cheap way of damping such an arrangement. Incidentally your upper frequency limit is both ridiculous and irrelevant.

Possibility, but too stiff

Feeling rich?

To be honest I'd expect that bolting the camera in, or mounting it in a foam lined rigid box, would be a much better solution than trying to go for a suspension.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

Try these guys:

They have speciality damping materials. One demo they gave had a golf ball dropping a foot onto a sheet of their damping material. That golf ball did not bounce back up. They should have the right grommet type product that you attch between your camera and the fixed mount.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
imbcsab