Removing a toolpost

My Holbrook C10 has a 4-way toolpost that the manual calls a "turret" but I want to replace it with the Multifix that I acquired from eBay some time ago. The problem is that I can't get the toolpost gubbins off the compound slide! I've removed the toolholder block, the 4 screws that hold the ramped base onto the compound slide and the 2 other screws through the bottom of the compound slide into the toolpost base. But the *&^&damn thing won't budge.

I assume these are standard toolposts that fit into a circular hole - what's the secret to getting them off? (I'll ask in the Holbrook group too, but this one seems more active)

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Hi Dave,

Some lathes have a circular mount with a dovetail section. Look for a couple of screws one in each side of the topslide which may release the toolpost.

hth

Bob in Romsey

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A good idea but unfortunately there aren't any screws on the sides. Underneath the slide there's a circular recess beneath the post, in this recesss is a metal plate, 2 screws go up through this and into the post BUT it looks as if the plate is held in place by 2 screws coming down through the slide and into the plate! Does that make sense? Heat and hammers are coming to mind but I don't want to damage the slide. Another idea is to try to drill/tap the centre of the metal plate and to screw-in a bolt in the hope that it presses-out the post - but I'm not optimistic.

Just as a thought, if I were to borrow the oven for a few hours which will expand more, cast iron slide or MS toolpost?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

According to

expansion of steel is less than that of cast iron.

So using swmbo's oven could be a worthwhile experiment

Good Luck

Bob in Romsey

Reply to
Bob Minchin