QCTP oddity

Bought an RDGTools QCTP for the Myford and it seems reasonably well made, although the supplied 8mm spanner was made of something akin to soft chocolate. Went to fit it to the Super 7 but when I removed the old 4-way toolpost (which mounted tools too high), underneath it was a toothed disc, which fitted into a circular recess on the bottom of the toolpost but was screwed to the Myford topslide. Are there toolposts that index on this as mine wasn't in any way affected by it?

Still can't use my new toolpost as the locking handle spacer from the old post doesn't fit between the toolholder locking posts - if that makes any sense to anyone... Not an insurmountable problem as I'm sure even I can turn up a spacer or buy another handle

Reply to
Robin

Normally the four-way toolpost has a plunger on a spring, held in with a grub screw to engage with the disk. Maybe your's went missing at some time in the past?

You might need to gently use a hammer driven impact driver on the screws holding the disk. They can be a bit tight and it's possible to butcher the slots if a screwdriver slips.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You might as well turn a new spacer up. It's not just the diameter you'll have to get right, as the position of the handle when it's tight will depend on the thickness of the spacer. You can skim bits off until you get the handle where you want it.

Wilfrid

Reply to
Wilfrid Underwood