Phase II Micro tool QC post on Myford ML7?

I'm wondering if this tool post set:=20

will fit my Myford ML-7 lathe? =20

If anyone has one of these, can they answer a few questions please?

  1. What is the ID of the mounting hole?

  1. What is the distance between the mounting hole's center and the closest edge of the release lever base? (Clearance for nut and washer)

Thanks in advance. =20

Doug Warner

That Web site says it uses a 10mm mounting bolt. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yes. but the hole may be larger.=20 I suppose I could bore/drill it out if necessary. =20

Doug Warner

The absolute best tool post for a myford is a Dorian SD20. THey might call it MD20 now.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Doug:

I have this QC toolpost on my Sakai (Toyo) ML-210, and I think it is likely to be too small for your Myford. You should probably go up to the next size in the Phase II line. I don't think the "micro" version is going to fit.

The mounting hole is 14mm diameter top and bottom, bushed (I think) to the bolt size, on mine 8 mm. However, there is absolutely zero clearance betweeen the edge of the hole and the tightening lever casting -- you have to use a cap screw with head diameter no greater than 14 mm, and the head rests just below flush with the top surface of the toolholder body. Plus, I suspect the bushing is either shrink-fit or mechanically fastened in the bore, as it takes the tightening load from the capscrew. If you bored out the bushing, you would have to counter-bore the top larger to allow for the bigger capscrew head.

Repeat, you can't use a hold-down bolt that protrudes above the top surface, as there is no side clearance at all.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I picked this one because of the height ZThe Myford's mounting stud is about 2.6" tall, so the larger ones, at 2.5: high, probabl wouldn't work, I suppose I could fit a taller stud, or install a T-nut in the top of the compound and use a bolt. =20

Thanks. I guess this one isn't for me. I'll have to look into modifying the lathe to take one of the others, or find something else.

Doug Warner

You can made a new stud. I made one when I put the Dorian SD-20 toolpost on my myford. The stud is just a bolt with a large round flat head. Easy lathe project.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Is this the one you're talking about?

Actually, it looks like the MDN15 is a better fit for the Myford's .64" center height, although the Myford's extended bolt and nut would interfere with the swing of the locking lever. I'd like to keep these parts so I can easily switch back to the original clamping arrangement if necessary. I guess the MND20 might be the way to go, if there's room to enlarge the mounting bolt hole, and I'd have keep another wrench in the tray to remove the toolholders :-)

I bought the Phase II Hobby for now, and shortened it by turning material off the base and the flange of the center sleeve (As well as drilling it's ID a bit larger):

I'm not impressed with it's quality though. The height adjusting studs were loose in the toolholders, so they turned with the thumb nut, and the cutoff tool holder won't clamp some blades without shimming.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

I have the MDN20 and it works well on the myford super 7. The center height is fine for normal tool holders. I did have to grind a little bit off the boring bar and parting toolholders to get them low enough. I used a belt sander followed by surface grinder to make them look pretty. Forget machining them; They are extremely hard.

Myford uses a 7/16 post and the MDN20 has a 3/8 hole. I replaced the myford 7/16 post with a shopbuilt 3/8. Just press the old one out of the top slide and install the new one. Initially I wanted the ability to switch between toolposts too, and the 3/8 bolt prevents that but frankly once you use the Qc toolholder you will never use the myford 4 way turret. I believe you could enlarge the center hole on the MDN20 toolpost with an EDM. I doubt you can drill it.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood